Can Solar Activity Cause Earthquakes?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

acc wrote:kingkong, please debate in a gentlemanly manner so that this thread can remain open; there is no need to bring in "ISA" and stuff.
i don't know why that's considered ungentlemenly. gentlemenliness is a subjective concept, much less precise than science, so it would be most appreciated if you could provide definition.

furthermore, i don't think diplomacy and so called "gentlemenliness" are normal characteristics of debates on science. instead, i tend to agree with richard dawkins that militancy is often called for. sometimes, it is perhaps better to just call an idiot an idiot, and bs as bs. instead of beating around the bush. otherwise they will soon start demanding that schools start to teach these open-mindedness! like the creationists are doing in usa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

kingkong wrote:
acc wrote:kingkong, please debate in a gentlemanly manner so that this thread can remain open; there is no need to bring in "ISA" and stuff.
i don't know why that's considered ungentlemenly. gentlemenliness is a subjective concept, much less precise than science, so it would be most appreciated if you could provide definition.

furthermore, i don't think diplomacy and so called "gentlemenliness" are normal characteristics of debates on science. instead, i tend to agree with richard dawkins that militancy is often called for. sometimes, it is perhaps better to just call an idiot an idiot, and bs as bs. instead of beating around the bush. otherwise they will soon start demanding that schools start to teach these open-mindedness! like the creationists are doing in usa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
Sigh, kingkong, whatever you call it, there is no need to bring in "ISA" and the ministry of education and all the other stuff. Those are irrelevant to the debate.

Militancy and aggressive debates are not welcomed in this forum, too.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

acc wrote:Sigh, kingkong, whatever you call it, there is no need to bring in "ISA" and the ministry of education and all the other stuff. Those are irrelevant to the debate.

Militancy and aggressive debates are not welcomed in this forum, too.
so be it.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I don't know how other guys feel, but I think there has been quite a bit of fireworks in recent posts especially on discussion relating to science.

Are we going a bit 'too far' in some of the responses we made to substantiate our view points?
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All open-minded Singastroians
So much said about energy and neutrino;but if you are in particle physics then you will know that new fundamentals particles are being discovered even recently.So lets keep our mind open and call it ??? particles and perhaps such particles can interact with the earth core to produce .......
;but what reasonable to assume is that such particles are produce during extreme solar active days;visible to us as complete continuous"hot band" or as million degree X class solar flare.;and could it be due to some energy 'lensing' which can cause energy to concentrate on certain part of the earth to trigger such disaster.(flooding,earthquate).
But wait,are we going to FULLY understand it then review it to the public?Of course as a first step we look for pattern and matches AND REMEMBER IF IT CAN SAVE LIFES,WHY NOT.IMAGINE HOW MUCH MORE LIVES SAVED ON THE 311 earthquate if people believe in it(X class flare 2 days before event) and take special precautions after seeing the warning signals.
And similarly for the flooding signals;if you are the boss of one of those affected shops,you will be thankful if someone can give you a warning hours or day before hand and so weather it happen or not, take some simple precautions before the disaster to minimize your losses.(say remove some precious goods to high places like table top when you close your shop).Thats my idea;save lives and possible losses.Its not hard to understand that many reject the idea but if you had stare through those reviewing solar scopes and see those extraordinary events of flare;solar tsunami,600,000 km prominances for hours and the scale of its changes in just minutes you will appreciate what I think about.Thanks for reading.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

A note to comfort those too worried--The sun DONT normally form such CONTINUOUS band and even if formed will normally disappear in a day (or 2)(some only in hours).It will occur only during period of max solar activities and even then,there are minicycles within the solar cycle which limits it occurences.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

superiorstream wrote:but if you are in particle physics then you will know that new fundamentals particles are being discovered even recently.So lets keep our mind open and call it ??? particles and perhaps such particles can interact with the earth core to produce .......
calling it "???" is rather uncreative, no? why not call it "voodoo", or "the force", or "god's will" or "cosmic energy" ala reiki or falun gong? all of which require the same open-mindedness.
[smilie=dong.gif]
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

stargazer wrote:I don't know how other guys feel, but I think there has been quite a bit of fireworks in recent posts especially on discussion relating to science.
Are we going a bit 'too far' in some of the responses we made to substantiate our view points?
dear gazer, you have the right to feel that things are "going a bit too far" because "too far" or not is subjective to social norms, and i'm not saying that things are not going a bit too far. what intrigue me is why no one feels certain views were carried a bit too far in the guise of open-mindedness, but when someone choose to point out the fallacies, it 's considered "too far"?

if you reckon there is a better way to do this, i'll humbly accept all positive guidance - that means tell me something like "why don't you say this..." instead of "don't say like that lah...". i hope this concept is not too difficult to grasp too... but nvm...

would it be considered insulting for me to suggest that singaporeans have been conditioned to not making a stand for anything? perhaps that's why foreign talents who are so disagreeable are needed.

ungentlemanly yours,
kk

[smilie=super.gif]
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Hi King Kong,

Please know that my comments were not targeted at you, in case you thought I was. I was just speaking from my perspective from looking at what had been discussed so far.

And don't bring 'foreign talents' related statements in your response. What you guys had been discussed so far has nothing to do this.

Yes, Singapore needs foreigners to take up certain job positions. That is because we do not have sufficient Singaporeans to fill the number of jobs created.

And not because of Singaporeans 'not able to stand on anything'.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

stargazer wrote: Please know that my comments were not targeted at you, in case you thought I was. I was just speaking from my perspective from looking at what had been discussed so far.

And don't bring 'foreign talents' related statements in your response. What you guys had been discussed so far has nothing to do this.

Yes, Singapore needs foreigners to take up certain job positions. That is because we do not have sufficient Singaporeans to fill the number of jobs created.

And not because of Singaporeans 'not able to stand on anything'.
thank you for showing a positive example on how to response to a provoking challenge. well done! [smilie=cute2.gif]