Can Solar Activity Cause Earthquakes?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

@kingkong: Well, I am just stating what I think. No hard feelings. :mryellow:

Sorry Admin, allow me to side-track a bit on 'foreigners': It is an undeniable fact Singapore needs foreigners. Whether be it foreign talents or foreign workers. And these foreigners too need Singapore, whether it is for their long term interest or short term interest - in gaining employment so that they are able to, hopefully, provide better for their families.

I myself have Vietnamese, Indians and Fillipino friends. And I have cousins in Malaysia. The challenge really is to live in harmony and work together and pool our strengths together to see how things could be better or improved.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
superiorstream wrote:Hi,All open-minded Singastroians
So much said about energy and neutrino;but if you are in particle physics then you will know that new fundamentals particles are being discovered even recently.So lets keep our mind open and call it ??? particles and perhaps such particles can interact with the earth core to produce .......
;but what reasonable to assume is that such particles are produce during extreme solar active days;visible to us as complete continuous"hot band" or as million degree X class solar flare.;and could it be due to some energy 'lensing' which can cause energy to concentrate on certain part of the earth to trigger such disaster.(flooding,earthquate).
But wait,are we going to FULLY understand it then review it to the public?Of course as a first step we look for pattern and matches AND REMEMBER IF IT CAN SAVE LIFES,WHY NOT.IMAGINE HOW MUCH MORE LIVES SAVED ON THE 311 earthquate if people believe in it(X class flare 2 days before event) and take special precautions after seeing the warning signals.
And similarly for the flooding signals;if you are the boss of one of those affected shops,you will be thankful if someone can give you a warning hours or day before hand and so weather it happen or not, take some simple precautions before the disaster to minimize your losses.(say remove some precious goods to high places like table top when you close your shop).Thats my idea;save lives and possible losses.Its not hard to understand that many reject the idea but if you had stare through those reviewing solar scopes and see those extraordinary events of flare;solar tsunami,600,000 km prominances for hours and the scale of its changes in just minutes you will appreciate what I think about.Thanks for reading.
I do a quick check on the X-Class solar flare that you mention in your post and found that was a X1.5 class ( http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?vie ... &year=2011 ). If a X1.5 class solar flare can cause a M9.0 Earthquake and what you mention is true, what havoc can the most power X-Class solar flare ever recorded cause??

I do a quick search and below is what I found out:
Out of the 30 most powerful X-Class solar flare ever recorded, only 7 significant earthquake happen within a week. Out of the 7 Earthquake, 3 were between M6.0 to M6.9 and 4 were between M7.0 to M7.9.

Please note that base on average, there are 134 Earthquake between M6.0 to M6.9 annually and 15 Earthquake between M7.0 to M7.9 annually.

Since Earthquake happen so frequently around the world, but still had such a low "match" rate with the most powerful X-Class solar flare ever recorded, I think what you believe is not what actually happen or at least I don't see it reflect on the above finding.

Just my S$0.02.

Have a nice day.

PS:
Reference:
X-Class Solar Flare: http://www.spaceweather.com/solarflares/topflares.html
Earthquake List: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... orical.php
Earthquake Statistics: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... qstats.php
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i need to learn to debate like wx.... so gentle and nice... [smilie=good-job.gif] better than me at my best manner...
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

kingkong wrote:i need to learn to debate like wx.... so gentle and nice... [smilie=good-job.gif] better than me at my best manner...
King Kong, yes you really need to. Please keep to the topic, play nice and do not bring in irrelevant comments about Singapore, its people or system. Do not provoke or troll.

stargazer: no worries, we appreciate you response.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

like someone famous once said: i came to prepare the way for the saviour... sorry for going OT again, pls ignore...
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi all
The mods and I would like to announce that kingkong through his conduct has earned the dubious distinction of being the first forumer to be suspended from SingAstro forums in our eight years of existence. He has been suspended from Singastro for a period of two weeks.

The ban is due to kingkong’s trolling and provocative comments relating to Singapore, its people and system and his inability to keep on-topic. We also took note of his previously demonstrated propensity to use derogatory terms to describe Singapore and its people. The ban is not related to his counter-points against the hypotheses that are proposed in this thread; we view his points as valid.

Note that while we have received feedback from members asking for a permanent suspension of kingkong’s account, we decided against that since a banned member can easily sign up for a new account and return to create trouble. We hope the two-week period is sufficient for kingkong to cool down from his X-class flare up. If kingkong returns to create more trouble after two weeks, his account will be suspended indefinitely.

With this, I hope we can move on. SingAstro has always been a very friendly place for all and I am sure we all would like this unpleasant incident to remain an exception.

Rgds
Chee Chien
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Weixing
Agree with you ---Earthquate are NOT CAUSE by solar flare if not then simply look at the sun constantly and you can be save from it;but somehow it can TRIGGER it.In fact that what we are still looking at;but it increase the Probability of its happening and location wise also hard to determine.Also its not the sole cause(other mechanism can also)---recently an astronomer in NZ correctly predict an 6-7 mag earthquate(in Christchurch) when the moon get its closest approach to the earth---I think around june/july this year.;and the trigger is now the moon's gravity mainly but the CAUSE--of course plate tectonic of the earth crust! and if pressure had been released or not up to the level then nothing happen even if triggered.And so people at earthquate prone areas should look at ALL type of things to save themselves--animal behaviour,solar activities,unbalanced gravitational pull,insect bahaviour--esp those that live underground like ants,etc.
We know that around the plates,pressure are building up all the time and the proper thing to do is to look at All possible triggering mechanism and sign to save lifes.Solar flare;continuous solar band activities,are powerful billion watt activities capable of being such a trigger and hence should be look at with due respect to save lives.The key--play save;dont panic.
As for the ??? particles it represents those newly discovered particles and particles whose behaviour and interactions with other particles still under investigation ,not veedoo in any sense.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Sorry for these scientists - Scientists go on trial for failing to predict earthquake

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/scientists-go- ... quake.html
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Yes,really sorry to hear that and also do you know that the NZ astronomer---mentioned in my earlier post-- who correctly predicted the 6-7 mag earthquate were accused of causing public panic and will be sue if that earthquate doesnt happen.Luckily it did exactly as predicted both in time and location.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Solar Max on 2012 and 2013 will proved to be exciting for all scientists and researchers .... Many hypothesis on particle physic and new theories may be proven ... and at the same time ground breaking information obtained from CERN ( LHC ) could dovetail some of the missing links. This could set forth the next Enlightenment and Awakening of the Human race. At the edge of Human precipice, New Renaissance will come. Theories of Dark Matter and Alternate Universe will no longer be a taboo...We could be living at the best Age of Man.