Can Solar Activity Cause Earthquakes?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
Photo only show on login.;and finally touch on Airconvent comment.The film 2012 is the one that really need a "bashing"for inconsistency.If the earth--land--breaks up in quakes;why not the sea?Look at the march 11;2011 event.;both land and sea affected.Thanks again.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Mr Chia,

The sun activities or space weather likely to have multiple variables, if you can bring in as many variables as possible and match them with multiple extreme weather events, you will find that some variables play no role, some little role and some more role. Then you may find better correlation between space weather and extreme weather. Just using one example may be by chance both your suspected variable and the triggering variable happened at the same time, so by chance you think they match. To do this multi dimensions correlation is very time consuming but you already spend 30 yrs in it, I guess it shouldn't be an issue with you.

I can't advice you what or which variables to look at them as I am a blur block in this field. However, I believe in any investigation, the concept shouldn't be much different between product analysis, failure analysis, statistical analysis, space weather analysis or ....... Analytical work is my cup of tea, provided I have the knowledge about the variables.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,All
The film 2012 is the one that really need a "bashing"for inconsistency.If the earth--land--breaks up in quakes;why not the sea?Look at the march 11;2011 event.;both land and sea affected.Thanks again.
i don't quite know how to say this, but i would challenge anyone to show us a scientific insight in another astronomy forum that can rival this one.

i suspect if someone alerts the ministry of education on this, the ISA will be be invoked...
Gary

Post by Gary »

kingkong wrote: i don't quite know how to say this, but i would challenge anyone to show us a scientific insight in another astronomy forum that can rival this one.

i suspect if someone alerts the ministry of education on this, the ISA will be be invoked...
Hi kingkong. Can you explain what you meant by ISA?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

I think the easiest co - relationship between rare cataclysmic sun flare and earth is the release of huge wave (very short wavelenght rays) of neutrinos which passes by through any matter. On earth pretty much like a microwave oven application at your kitchen table. the Neutrinos will exite any molecular structure at earth core and form an in-determinable heat component which in turn cause a resonable hypothesis of unstable solid matter, thereby accelerated molten convectional transients which may cause tectonic earth plate movements. How much more instability is not determinable as the cataclysmic flare proportions is never tested, but by looking at the number of dead planets vs our green earth seems to imply a tendency of planet death by such natural sun inflicted occurance could be real.

Although all this sounds like the movie 2012 and hollywoods stuffs ... but it cetainly beg more research in this area. Having spoken to Chia on numerous occasion on this subject, i did not think is far-fetch.
Last edited by wucheeyiun on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

wucheeyiun wrote:I think the easiest co - relationship between rare cataclysmic sun flare and earth is the release of huge neutrinos which passes by through any matter. On earth pretty much like a microwave oven application at your kitchen table. the Neutrinos will exite any molecular structure at earth core and form an in-determinable heat component which in turn cause a resonable hypothesis of unstable solid matter, thereby accelerated molten convectional transients which may cause tectonic earth plate movements. How much more instability is not determinable as the cataclysmic flare proportion is never tested, but by looking at the number of dead planets vs our green earth seems to imply a tendency of planet death by such natural sun inflicted occurance could be real.
please forgive me for pointing this out but neutrino doesn't behave like microwave. if it does, scientists would not need to try so hard to detect it.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

kingkong wrote:
wucheeyiun wrote:I think the easiest co - relationship between rare cataclysmic sun flare and earth is the release of huge neutrinos which passes by through any matter. On earth pretty much like a microwave oven application at your kitchen table. the Neutrinos will exite any molecular structure at earth core and form an in-determinable heat component which in turn cause a resonable hypothesis of unstable solid matter, thereby accelerated molten convectional transients which may cause tectonic earth plate movements. How much more instability is not determinable as the cataclysmic flare proportion is never tested, but by looking at the number of dead planets vs our green earth seems to imply a tendency of planet death by such natural sun inflicted occurance could be real.
please forgive me for pointing this out but neutrino doesn't behave like microwave. if it does, scientists would not need to try so hard to detect it.
More reading required ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fea ... _five.html

Unless we also don't trust wikipedia or any of the nasa findings ...then got nothing to say already ...

When earthlings produced controlled microwave we are ok, but when our sun produces shortwavelenght rays of unkown quantum, we should should thankful that we arre not affected too badly, because we are protected by our own magnetic field from north and south poles, its only when north and south poles inverts ( it happened before ) , we may not have any protection. There is a chance of a perfect storm when in-determined quantum Sun flares happens at a point when rare earth magnetic reversal happens.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... eticfield/
Last edited by wucheeyiun on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
wucheeyiun wrote:I think the easiest co - relationship between rare cataclysmic sun flare and earth is the release of huge wave (very short wavelenght rays) of neutrinos which passes by through any matter. On earth pretty much like a microwave oven application at your kitchen table. the Neutrinos will exite any molecular structure at earth core and form an in-determinable heat component which in turn cause a resonable hypothesis of unstable solid matter, thereby accelerated molten convectional transients which may cause tectonic earth plate movements.

If Neutrinos had such a great impact on Earth core, it's logical to suggest that it'll had a deadly impact on living thing, such as ourself. Base on current situation that we are still alive, I don't think Neutrinos can had such a great impact on Earth core.
wucheeyiun wrote:How much more instability is not determinable as the cataclysmic flare proportions is never tested, but by looking at the number of dead planets vs our green earth seems to imply a tendency of planet death by such natural sun inflicted occurance could be real.
Err... Let me give an example:
Nobody I know win TOTO first price, but does that mean Singapore Pool do something that cause winning of TOTO difficult?? No, it's just mean that I don't have a big pool of friends that play TOTO and it's mathematically difficult to win TOTO first price (probability of getting 6 six numbers correct at any one time is very low) in the first place.

Just my S$0.02.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

kingkong wrote:
superiorstream wrote:Hi,All
The film 2012 is the one that really need a "bashing"for inconsistency.If the earth--land--breaks up in quakes;why not the sea?Look at the march 11;2011 event.;both land and sea affected.Thanks again.
i don't quite know how to say this, but i would challenge anyone to show us a scientific insight in another astronomy forum that can rival this one.

kingkong, please debate in a gentlemanly manner so that this thread can remain open; there is no need to bring in "ISA" and stuff.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

wucheeyiun wrote: More reading required ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fea ... _five.html

Unless we also don't trust wikipedia or any of the nasa findings ...then got nothing to say already ...
i don't know what you intend to prove by linking these two articles. could you please highlight the statements of interest/relevance in these articles so we can better discuss the subject.

if you are trying to show me that neutrinos exist, then may i suggest you reread my simple 1-sentence response and consider the following questions instead:
- did i question the existence of neutrinos?
- do you understand how microwave works?
- do you know why neutrinos are not capable of exiting matters like microwave?

neutrinos are so small, that almost all of it pass through our bodies, and earth unnoticed. unnoticed because it doesn't create any(almost) reaction. i quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino#Solar "Since neutrinos are insignificantly absorbed by the mass of the Earth, the surface area on the side of the Earth opposite the Sun receives about the same number of neutrinos as the side facing the Sun." how do you propose neutrinos "excite" the earth core to cause earthquakes?

if all we are interested in is correlation than i'm willing to bet that there is a higher correlation between someone winning a lottery jackpot and the solar activities, than the same before each earth quake. any taker?
Last edited by kingkong on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.