Pls help. May I know where's Cancer and Taurus now?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
vivid

Re: Pls help. May I know where's Cancer and Taurus now?

Post by vivid »

Hey cloud_cover, of course no problem you are welcome. PMed ya.

Why cannot even catch a glimpse of Carinae nebula even with UHC? Low surface brightness?
vivid

Post by vivid »

Netted M44 in Cancer with the help of Stellarium, with just a 7 x 50 and eyes are not dark adapted as i did that just abt 5 mins after leaving the bright lobby, managed to do it as they switched off the skybridge lights. It seems that they switch off the lights at the Skybridge (save $$$) from Mon-Thur. Will see tmr on Friday as they seem to switch on Fri - Sun. If that is true then i will organise the ob on a weekday.

Will try the huge group of galaxies like M49 beside Virgo next! 0100h would be good as its near the zenith region and the CBD buildings switch off, besides not too late also.

PS. You see, i am using a lousy pair of Bushnell 7 x 50 rather than my telescope even though it's supposed to be grab n go telescope. This is the grab n go effect in action.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Congrats! Keep up the spirit! Should persuade and encourage the management to shut off more non-essential lights to save more money. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
vivid

Post by vivid »

Finally after 1 whole lousy week of clouds and haze, at long last clear skies tonight! (it was pretty lousy during evening time actually but cleared). And of course moonrise is not due till 1230hrs.

Wah Gary, i think you will like it here. Went to the lower SB and saw a lot more, coz after 2200h the 26th storey SB also shut off the lights. (Coz the 50th storey SB closes at 2200hrs). Concentrated on the southern part and so netted Southern Pleiades, Crux etc....Rigil Kent/Hadar/Epsilon are good for me to net Omega Centauri fast coz now way Omega Centauri is visible to our naked eyes here. Guess those are still tourist objects, but essential for me as landmarks to starhop and find stuff, coz then i'd know how to divide into 10s of degrees for Azimuth.

I think a 7 x 50 or similar bino is essential for us starhoppers. Luckily did not get a Goto scope, it's so easy with Stellarium, 7 x 50 and then you transfer that to 8 x 50 finder and bingo...can liao. 20X Faster than Goto + EQ polar align. :mrgreen:

Right above of the Southern Pleiades I saw one whole mess of stars and i'd believe some fuzziness, not sure what is it coz only saw it tonight which is quite transparent (no haze after 2100h). Guess need to check it out with the 6" refractor soon. I never saw this before, due to the lousy conditions earlier on. (I wasn't able to take advantage of the Earth Hour night as I wasn't feeling too well).

Damn is Antares big! Always wanted to know what is that red thingy.