Echoes of Light - Awesome!

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Echoes of Light - Awesome!

Post by cloud_cover »

And quite frankly, mind boggling!

http://www.astromart.com/news/news.asp?news_id=1261

The Explosion of Eta Carinae in 1837, replayed again in 2012!
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Re: Echoes of Light - Awesome!

Post by Gary »

Thanks for sharing! Good stuff. Can't wait to say hi again to Carina in 2 more weeks. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

The image in the report is narrowband. How did the authors manage to get spectroscopic data from narrowband images? I didn't think this is possible.

And assuming they manage to get the spectroscopic data, there should be at least two sets of spectra, one from n-carinae and the other from the reflecting interstellar medium. How did the authors separate the two spectra or tell them apart?
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Choasknight
Those big boys have all the complicated equipment on earth;and just like the sun,they can get spectra of any part of the image using fiber optics etc just like in Keat peak--the most use guiding for say 6-12 hours to overcome the insufficiency of light.Of course,as for the image-photo,they use narrow band,long exposure.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,Choasknight
Those big boys have all the complicated equipment on earth;and just like the sun,they can get spectra of any part of the image using fiber optics etc just like in Keat peak--the most use guiding for say 6-12 hours to overcome the insufficiency of light.Of course,as for the image-photo,they use narrow band,long exposure.
yeah ok.

Anyway i read the original nature paper, seems the data collection itself is cheap and easy enough to be done by anyone with a few k's worth of equipment.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Yes,we can spend those few K;but here in Singapore,we definitely lack one thing--crystal clear sky--and that make it impossible for us.--and its getting worse with all those 'modernization' locally and around the region.Soon,even Johore gets its fare share of 'modernization' and I wonder where we can go to obs.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

superiorstream wrote:Yes,we can spend those few K;but here in Singapore,we definitely lack one thing--crystal clear sky--and that make it impossible for us.--and its getting worse with all those 'modernization' locally and around the region.Soon,even Johore gets its fare share of 'modernization' and I wonder where we can go to obs.
i'm not sure you grasp the situation here at all. what is lacking is not money or hardware or viewing conditions. its something else, what is it?