Project Free Telescope 2012

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
khurram
Favourite scope: meade lx90

Re: Project Free Telescope 2012

Post by khurram »

Ok I can help out on East side if a more experienced person is doing such sessions, I know weixing does in tempines, so probably will liase with him on attending as many sessions as possible and do some crowd control, since i am a beginner so cant do a lot more perhaps :)
Gary

Post by Gary »

khurram wrote:Ok I can help out on East side if a more experienced person is doing such sessions, I know weixing does in tempines, so probably will liase with him on attending as many sessions as possible and do some crowd control, since i am a beginner so cant do a lot more perhaps :)
Hi Khurram. No worries. Let's meet up and get to know each other better so that I can access your suitability for this project. Weixing will be a great guide/mentor for your sidewalk sessions in the East as he has much more sidewalk experience than me. But ultimately, with sufficient experience gained under his guidance, I hope you will be able to do it on your own. Just like Dave is going "solo" now at Bishan Park regardless of whether I or any forum member is able to attend.

Alfred's 5" inch SCT and tracking mount is with me now. So upon selection, you can have a choice of either that or a 6" newtonian. I will be busy with some work related projects and preparing for Venus Transit. Will most probably be able to spend more time on this project after the Transit.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

khurram wrote:Ok I can help out on East side if a more experienced person is doing such sessions, I know weixing does in tempines, so probably will liase with him on attending as many sessions as possible and do some crowd control, since i am a beginner so cant do a lot more perhaps :)
Don't worry about not being able to do much due to being a beginner. Crowd control, explaining stuff to people are all very welcome help at sidewalk sessions.

My first sidewalk session, I went down to Toa Payoh Central during one of Gary's sessions, and somehow I ended helping by explaining stuff to people and pointing stuff out.

PAI SEH I HIJACK THIS THREAD.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
Gary

Post by Gary »

No hijacking offense taken. :)

Thanks for speaking from experience how not-scary a sidewalk can be. This will give others more motivation to volunteer for this project. In any case, selected candidates will not be immediately thrown into a deep pool to do solo on their very first few sidewalks.

The majority of the public are not very astro-savvy. They are easily impressed by what is considered very basic astro info to us - e.g. a telescope can look like a fat tube instead of the classical refractor design, that "star" in the sky is actually a planet, we can actually see stars in Singapore, ...etc.

-- John Dobson.
khurram

Post by khurram »

Dear both thanks for encouragement, i will.have mote time in june, so in addition to east if your time.doesnt clash with weixing, i can pop by toa payoh too. Will be glad to meet people in person too. Cheers.
Gary

Post by Gary »

khurram wrote:Dear both thanks for encouragement, i will.have mote time in june, so in addition to east if your time.doesnt clash with weixing, i can pop by toa payoh too. Will be glad to meet people in person too. Cheers.
Hi Khurram. I think I have misread your earlier post. I think you meant helping out as in helping selected candidates selected for this project. In either case, you are very welcomed!

-- John Dobson.
khurram

Post by khurram »

hmm either is fine with me too :) I won't mind earning a telescope, the whole concept sounds more satisfying