Sidewalk Astronomy: A Guide

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Sidewalk Astronomy: A Guide

Post by Avarielle »

What is Sidewalk Astronomy?
- Sidewalk astronomy is basically the act of setting up a telescope, or more, at a public place and allowing the public to look through and view the night sky objects.

Why do we do it?
- to share the views of the night sky
- to educate and entertain people
- to raise awareness of astronomy as a hobby, raise awareness of issues like light pollution.
- to interact with fellow amateur astronomers, learn things from each other, make friends, and have fun.

What happens during a sidewalk session?
- During a session, one, or more telescopes, will be set up. Depending on the crowd level, there might be a queue to look into the telescopes(s). If you brought your scope, you'll need to occasionally adjust the scope to track the object people are viewing. You'll probably also have to answer questions from the public. If you don't have a scope, you can stand around and help answer questions, do crowd control, etc.

How are sessions organized?
- Due to Singapore's rather unpredictable weather, sidewalk sessions can be impromptu. Each person has their own way of keeping people updated on the sidewalk sessions. If you see a particular sidewalk session announced here on the forum you'll like to go to, get in touch with the organizer. They'll be able to give you more info on how to be informed of future sessions.

Do I need a telescope to be involved in the sidewalk sessions?
- Absolutely not. I've been to quite a few sidewalk sessions and I've only brought my scope out twice. There are many other things you can do to help make the sidewalk session run well.

How can I help during a sidewalk session?
- You can do minor crowd control, explain things to people, show things to them in relevant books and/or magazines, answer questions.
- Occasionally, the person manning the scope might want to take a break, go to the toilet, go buy food, etc, and you can help man the scope in the meantime.

Should I bring my telescope to the session?
- If it is convenient, by all means, bring your scope. IF YOU ARE HAVING AN DIFFICULTIES USING YOUR SCOPE, a sidewalk session is a very good way to get help.

A couple of tips.
- Dress comfortably. You might be standing for long periods of time.
- The public is not expecting you to be a walking encyclopedia on the universe. If you can point out the naked eye planets, and explain basic astronomy stuff, you'll be fine.
- If you can speak a 2nd language, that's great. That'll make it easier to explain things to people.
- If you have any astronomy apps on your phone, you can also use that to explain things to people.
- Sidewalk astronomy is done on a volunteer basis. You don't need to worry about not being able to make it to a session. Just come as and when your schedule allows.

This "guide" is just a rough one. If anyone has any more suggestions/corrections, feel free to comment.

(forums mods/admins, I hope this is in the right place. if not, I'm sorry)
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
Gary

Re: Sidewalk Astronomy: A Guide

Post by Gary »

Good job Avarielle!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.