Star gazing st camaroon highland.

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
globe53

Star gazing st camaroon highland.

Post by globe53 »

Hi guys, will be making a trip up with my friends for a short break and suddenly though of shooting some stars while i am at it.

Never been there before but i guess the we will be pretty high up. how is the general light pollution there since it is a holiday destination. can anyone please give some advise.

CHeers :)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Star gazing st camaroon highland.

Post by cloud_cover »

Wow! I've never been there but I'm sure you're in for a real treat! The highlands of Cameroon appear sparsely populated with mainly tribal villages so the light pollution should be virtually non existent!
Do take care of your personal safety though as its pretty near the border with Nigeria and also don't forget your Malaria protection :)
DON'T PANIC
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
cloud_cover wrote:Wow! I've never been there but I'm sure you're in for a real treat! The highlands of Cameroon appear sparsely populated with mainly tribal villages so the light pollution should be virtually non existent!
Do take care of your personal safety though as its pretty near the border with Nigeria and also don't forget your Malaria protection :)
Since he mention it's a short beak and holiday destination, I think it might be "Cameron Highlands" and not "Cameroon". [smilie=confused.gif]

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Errm CH seems to be perpetually shrouded in clouds at night the few times I have been there.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
globe53

Post by globe53 »

cloud_cover wrote:Wow! I've never been there but I'm sure you're in for a real treat! The highlands of Cameroon appear sparsely populated with mainly tribal villages so the light pollution should be virtually non existent!
Damn my english. It the one in malaysia .... I wish it was in africa though ... Lol
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi globe53. Welcome to the forum!

From the following daytime video footage, it might be an interesting place to stargaze if the weather is clear.
http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-22 ... aysia.html

I have not been there for many years but my recollection of those trips are also that of cloudy. But it could be because of year end holiday season (when I was free to take leave from work) when the weather is overall not fantastic in the first place. Just bring a small binocular and tripod for your camera try your luck observing and photographing since you will be there anyway and these equipment will be useful for your non-stargazing terrestrial pursuits there as well.

@cloud_cover : Don't bully newcomer la. Hahaha. I think seeing serialised prawns is more scary than getting malaria from cameroon. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.