Special edition Magazines/Bookazines

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Gary

Special edition Magazines/Bookazines

Post by Gary »

Bought copies of these magazines last week. You may be interested to get them before they run out of stock.

Bought from Times at CentrePoint $19.90:

Bought from Kinokuniya Bugis at $23.85. If Bugis Kino didn't restock after I bought all the 3 copies there, try Kino at Taka or Times at CentrePoint:
Last edited by Gary on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
lotsafruit

Re: NatGeo Exploring Space & BBC Beginner's Guide to Astrono

Post by lotsafruit »

Whoa...is this a special edition? So much stunning photos inside,thanks for the tip! Got the nat geo at imm, mine was second last copy.
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
DaveLommen

Post by DaveLommen »

You may also want to consider the October issue of Astronomy magazine (www.astronomy.com): 100 Greatest Pictures of the Universe.

Cheers,
Dave
Gary

Post by Gary »

lotsafruit wrote:Whoa...is this a special edition? So much stunning photos inside,thanks for the tip! Got the nat geo at imm, mine was second last copy.
You are welcomed. Glad you manage to get your copy. The infographics and photo is natgeo quality as usual. This is the link to see the other mags in their special edition series: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/speci ... l-editions
DaveLommen wrote:You may also want to consider the October issue of Astronomy magazine (http://www.astronomy.com): 100 Greatest Pictures of the Universe. Cheers, Dave
Hi Dave! :) Welcome to the forum. This October 2012 issue of Astronomy is also available for loan now at selected National Libraries.

-- John Dobson.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Got this from Time's CPoint @ $23.85. today.

BBC : Complete guide from basic to advanced Astrophotography.
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Lee - Thanks for the info! Was hunting for this for a couple of weeks. Finally it's here. Do you still remember roughly how many copies left after you bought yours?

-- John Dobson.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Gary wrote:@Lee - Thanks for the info! Was hunting for this for a couple of weeks. Finally it's here. Do you still remember roughly how many copies left after you bought yours?
I believe there is another copy left.
None at Tampines T1 Times.
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Lee - Thanks for the info! Just bought my copy at Kinokuniya @ Takashimaya. 1 more copy left there. Was 5 copies when I called them 2 hours ago. Didn't try Times outlets. Looks like astronomy is not that niche as we think? :)

-- John Dobson.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

Check out BBC Beginner's Guide to Astronomy before seeing this thread.

Nothing much on that book. Most info are available online, infact more can be found online... just google.

$23 for a book... hmmm... save it for other astro equipment

[smilie=happy.gif] [smilie=happy.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

beastmaster wrote:Check out BBC Beginner's Guide to Astronomy before seeing this thread.

Nothing much on that book. Most info are available online, infact more can be found online... just google.

$23 for a book... hmmm... save it for other astro equipment

[smilie=happy.gif] [smilie=happy.gif]
Hi Beastmaster

This book-a-zine is meant for the beginner thus the title.

There is an opportunity cost involved for a complete beginner to spend time to hunt for the same info from various websites without knowing whether the info/concept is correct and thus may create more confusion. E.g. One website say scope A is better beginner scope than B, another say B is better, another say C is the best.

In addition, every hobby have its own jargon/technical terms and some online info may not explain them or explain them in a laymen language while explaining a particular aspect of astronomy. There are some nice section in this magazine where some of these jargons are explained simply and clearly.

Also, some websites may use a lot of text to explain a concept whereby one nicely designed and annotated diagram in this magazine may do a better job (e.g. concept behind EQ mount).

Some beginners may also want to learn/read in a more properly structured way which a properly organised content in a magazine may be able to offer compared to reading random topics from search results.

Not all beginners prefer to stare at an electronic screen for long hours and/or just simply prefer/enjoy the good old method of reading printed text on paper. A magazine is also very portable to bring along and can be read during spare pockets of time here and there, e.g. while travelling to work on public transport.

Personally, I have learned most of my limited stargazing knowledge on my own through free resources both online and offline. But I enjoy the process of learning via personal research (I bet the same for you) and have slightly more time than an average working adult to do so.

But we should not assume all beginners enjoy and have the time to learn by the same way. Thus, this magazine may be a very good start for them and most *probably* worth their $23.85. After learning all the info in this magazine, the owner can lend it to their friends and relatives who may also be interested in astronomy and thus further stretching the value of their $23.85. :)

-- John Dobson.