Astronomy course in Singapore University

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
FatedDestiny
Favourite scope: -

Astronomy course in Singapore University

Post by FatedDestiny »

Hi! I'm interested in astronomy studies, is there any course related to astronomy in Singapore University?
Enterprise

Re: Astronomy course in Singapore University

Post by Enterprise »

NUS physics offers a degree in physics with concentration in astrophysics
http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/corporate ... e1011.html

You can take physics as your major and choose to take any of the astrophysics related modules if you like (or any other major you like as long as you fulfil the rereqs to take the modules you like)

If you are no a physics major you can also take a few astro related general modules which are quite fun.

All the best in your choices!

(p.s. as far as i know there are no astronomy per se majors in singapore though)
FatedDestiny
Favourite scope: -

Post by FatedDestiny »

Yes :(
But I have already graduated from other field for my degree.
I'm now pursuing phd. But my fav field was still astronomy. But too bad, I can't take course overseas.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

you can take this course...

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/

Joo Beng has finished his M.Sc. from Swinburne. I'm about halfway there. It's fully long-distance. According to Joo Beng you cannot get any educational assistance though. M.Sc. is 12 units. Current tuition is 1600 AUD per unit.

as I have a full time job that requires me to travel most of the time, I have only been taking 1 unit per teaching period. Conceivably you could take 4 units per teaching period and finish the M.Sc. in 1.5 years. It will be tough, however. More realistically a 2-unit load is doable.

note that Swinburne will only allow you to take up to the M.Sc. and it is an M.Sc. "by coursework" not an M.Sc. "by research" - hence a Swinburne M.Sc. in Astronomy will not allow you to pursue a Ph.D. in Astronomy. but if you have a B.Sc. (Hons) in some related field, you might still qualify.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Wow..... that's about 25K SGD for the M.Sc Astronomy......
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

spread out over a few years, if you have any sort of career.. (since you won't have time for the full load)

since I'm only doing 1 unit per teaching period, it comes out to roughly 500 bucks a month. It's an Ethos a month! :mrgreen:

do i regret taking it up and not buying a Paramount ME II instead? not at all.

taking the Astronomy course may not be career-enhancing at all, but it has given me valuable insights into how to do rigorous, academic research. and i've learned a great deal about modern cosmology. also learned a lot about observation. I even wrote a paper ON FLATS. Yeah, there are a zillion types of flats.

NUS graduate programs in engineering for international students is $18K per year according to their latest brochure. So $25K for an M.Sc. isn't too bad. admittedly Swinburne is not at the level of NUS (it is far below the level of NUS, about the same as Deakin/Curtin/La Trobe/RMIT). But the faculty at Swinburne are all published, professional astronomers. Many of them are attached to ANU as well.
Last edited by orly_andico on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I also gotta add - any delusions I had of becoming a professional astronomer were soundly disabused when I started this program.

Besides, professional astronomers are really not paid that well. And they don't get to hang around on top of Mauna Kea - typically a professional astronomer would write a proposal, submit it to the board controlling a major telescope (like Gemini or Keck), and would get approval in 2-3 years.

after which, they would need to raise funds for the trip to Hawaii, travel there, and on the observing nights when they are granted time on the scope, take all the images they can.

if the weather's no good - they can kiss the telescope time goodbye. Kiss the $50K - $100K trip budget goodbye. and go back to the board and apply for more telescope time 2-3 years in the future.

professional astronomy is too much hard work. I much prefer being an amateur, thank you. :mrgreen:
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Post by yltansg »

Thanks Orly for sharing your insights. Very enlightening [smilie=admire.gif] Yes, as amateur we can also do interesting things and contribute to promotion of astronomy. :)