Singapore's worst astro weather ever

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
lotsafruit

Re: Singapore's worst astro weather ever

Post by lotsafruit »

I have been lamenting since I got my bino recently, it seems to take forever for skies to clear up! If it still don't clear up in the next 2mth, i am going korea.

Anybody done star gazing there before?
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
Gary

Post by Gary »

Last night NE and E sky was relatively clear through the thin haze from midnight onwards at Toa Payoh - Bishan area. Jupiter was shining brightly, a couple of stars in M45 naked eye visible, and major bright stars of Orion and Canis Major can be seen to recognise them as constellations.

We need to sing the Singapura song with more gusto! :)
Last edited by Gary on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Want to know the real cause?Well its because of those money printing policy called 'EASING' beautifully.With oil price rising skyhigh--dont blame the oil producing countries;they rise price because real value of money decreases due to indiscriminate printing,one batch after another--those poor people in kampong find it too expensive to dispose of their rubbish by bringing it to 'disposure centre' and instead
burn it around their village.
Last time when the wind change direction,we enjoy at least a day or so of clear sky;but now either east or west wind its the same because those poorer communities surrounding us--east,west,north,south find no economical way to dispose of rubbish--thanks to high transport cost--except to burn it there and then.So,now on,expect this to come whenever a prolong dry season exist.Thanks to the new economic theory of 'EASING'.Thank you.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

superiorstream wrote:Want to know the real cause?Well its because of those money printing policy called 'EASING' beautifully.With oil price rising skyhigh--dont blame the oil producing countries;they rise price because real value of money decreases due to indiscriminate printing,one batch after another--those poor people in kampong find it too expensive to dispose of their rubbish by bringing it to 'disposure centre' and instead
burn it around their village.
Last time when the wind change direction,we enjoy at least a day or so of clear sky;but now either east or west wind its the same because those poorer communities surrounding us--east,west,north,south find no economical way to dispose of rubbish--thanks to high transport cost--except to burn it there and then.So,now on,expect this to come whenever a prolong dry season exist.Thanks to the new economic theory of 'EASING'.Thank you.
Dude you're not taking us for a ride, are you? But still funny nonetheless. Ho ho ho.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Sky clearing up now in N, NE and E after the heavy afternoon downpour. Counted 4 stars in Pleiades with non dark-adapted naked eyes. "W" shape of Cassiopeia, great square of Pegasus and Orion visible too.

"Singa-pura, oh Singa-pura ...." :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all your efforts in clearing the sky :)

I am waiting for the "Skyfall"

Kochu
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,
Dont believe what I said?Notice one thing--this year,no big satellite pic of severe forest fire in.....
Also no report of big forest fire in regions around Singapore.So where's the smoke coming from north ,south,east, west come from?
OK,I expect these' EASING 'effect(till that country underwent full recovery!) to get worse next year.Every year Jan to april is the BEST time of the year with CLEAR sky.Dont believe,do the survey yourself and lets see how many clear sky days we have then and compare it with previous years.Frankly I expect much LESS next year.,--not more cloudy days,but more SMOGGY days.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,
Dont believe what I said?Notice one thing--this year,no big satellite pic of severe forest fire in.....
Also no report of big forest fire in regions around Singapore.So where's the smoke coming from north ,south,east, west come from?
OK,I expect these' EASING 'effect(till that country underwent full recovery!) to get worse next year.Every year Jan to april is the BEST time of the year with CLEAR sky.Dont believe,do the survey yourself and lets see how many clear sky days we have then and compare it with previous years.Frankly I expect much LESS next year.,--not more cloudy days,but more SMOGGY days.
Dude you saying no pic of fire = people burning rubbish?
Prove it. Show the statistics from the correlation functions.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,
Dude you saying no pic of fire = people burning rubbish?
Prove it. Show the statistics from the correlation functions.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

It is not only Singapore.

UK experience the "Wierdest weather" as per BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19995084
Kochu