Singapore's worst astro weather ever

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Re: Singapore's worst astro weather ever

Post by acc »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,
Dont believe what I said?Notice one thing--this year,no big satellite pic of severe forest fire in.....
Also no report of big forest fire in regions around Singapore.So where's the smoke coming from north ,south,east, west come from?
Some facts and figures:
http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/ASMC/ ... e_Outlook2

Also good to read up on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Although the weather satellite reports state that "transboundary haze was minimal", I'd like to know where those days of relatively thick haze came from.
My criteria for haze is simple: If I can't see the CBD lights at night or see the buildings in the day, its hazy. And that is an objective, qualitative if non quantitive criteria.
DON'T PANIC
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

The part you extracted relates to the area of south sumatra in the second half of september. I guess with a bit of research one can find out the cause or the hotspot locations of the various periods of haze last month.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,
Yes,good photos and it kind of confirm my believe--look carefully;most of those 'hotspots' occur mostly near river mouth and location near water.These are the populated areas.Dont believe,next time you go there(those far from city villages) as a tourist,ask the villagers which rubbish company(if any) remove their rubbish(dead coconut/palm leaves etc) and how much they charges per trip per lorry/how do they get rid of their rubbish.--previously, before those oil price height and now;and you will get a good pic of whats going on.By,the way,who will admit that they are actually burning rubbish;but if you know how little they earn then its obvious unless the state provide it FREE.Put it this way--which of our neighbour provide FREE rubbish removal services for ALL their citizen?Even India is now cutting gov. subsidy.
Last edited by superiorstream on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi Chia,
While I'm not disputing your speculation, I'd also like to point out that river mouths and riversides are prime agricultural areas (fertile soil and availability of water) hence these are also the areas that are likely to be cleared.... by fire.
DON'T PANIC