Radio Astronomy in Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
orly_andico

Radio Astronomy in Singapore

Post by orly_andico »

I learned to my intense disappointment and disgust that satellite dishes and ancillary equipment are illegal in Singapore.

But, you can do basic radio astronomy with this exact same gear. I was so looking forward to making my own radio telescope for my astronomy course this term. Turns out that's not possible..

So - has anyone tried this? I imagine if one were affiliated with a local uni the task of getting a permit from the MDA would be much easier. Has anyone actually tried to get a permit? too late for me, but might be worth noting for the future..
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Radio Astronomy in Singapore

Post by yltansg »

Hi Orly,

I have been thinking of doing a Radio Jove project. Finally bought a Sony SW receiver (Sony ICF-SW7600G) from AM recently for it. Now got to figure out what antenna to use with it. Will share notes with you.

Alfred
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
I remember during my tertiary days I bought a copy of Practical Electronics (which I established to be Nov 1986 through googling) where a contributor shared a satellite dish design made up of a flat (yes flat, not parabolic!) piece of plywood strategically cut to achieve a particular sensitivity to the desired wavelength. As it was flat, it would discretely be placed on a roof masquarading as a roof panel. The article followed suit with the required electronics and RF components needed to build it. Too bad I have long thrown the issue away. What a waste. The author added that many plants can be similarly used but they are better for TV signals. The banana tree was cited as an ideal TV antenna!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I did think of using a Yagi instead. It doesn't look like a dish..

But not in time for my course work. Maybe next time.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Imagine that...I found the article ! It was Oct 1985 issue of Radio Electronics... :)

You can download the pages here :
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topi ... d-fresnel/
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets