Number of Messier Objects seen in Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
aleetk

Number of Messier Objects seen in Singapore

Post by aleetk »

Hi everyone! Can I know out of the 100 or so Messier objects, how many have you managed to view or photograph in Singapore skies and I mean from recently to maybe 2 or 3 years ago?
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Re: Number of Messier Objects seen in Singapore

Post by Davegn »

Hi aleetk,

there are 110 in the Messier catalog.

here a list of objects i can remember seeing in singapore thur my 6" SCT or 80mm/102MM refactor over a course of a year:

-M4
-M6
-M7
-M8
-M11
-M13
-M18
-M20
-M22
-M27
-M31
-M40
-M41
-M42
-M43
-M45
-M57

Could have been more which i may not have remember.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

All the star clusters, open or glubular, are more or less visible in a decent pair of 10x50 binos. Galaxies and nebulae, apart from several big/bright ones, require a different beast though.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

Thanks Dave and Mariner for your input. So, am I right to say that it is still possible to see all the messier objects even in Singapore provided you got the right equipment?
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Hello Aleetk,

Messier & Dim objects: i suppose you can shoot most of the Messier objects in SG, the question is: nice or not nice, attached M45 Subaru shoot from Malaysia & California Neb taken at Changi / SG, i think M45 is better, then of course there are other factors like the California was taken when it is already setting whereas M45 was taken earlier date at its higher point. Varying degree of seeing & transparency also count greatly. n.b. i think the difficult ones are: M81 & M82 because of the low cloud here in SG, not sure whether can manage to catch it one day...
Last edited by PETER LOO on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

Orion Nebula resized.jpg
Hi Peter. Thanks for replying. I like your photos very much. I'm into astrophotography but still trying to learn how to use the telescope properly. I have a Powerseeker 80eq and I don't know if anyone uses this scope for serious astrophotography at all. So far I have taken photos using only my dslr and tripod. No luck photographing anything else with my telescope except the moon. I have included my latest photo that I took of the Orion Nebula but it's nothing compared to the photos that you or other people have taken in terms of quality or detail. Hopefully I will do better next time and also learn how to post process my photos better. It's very noisy. Tell me what you think.

Regards
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PETER LOO
Favourite scope: TS APO Refractor

Post by PETER LOO »

Hi Alex, ur Orion shot is very nice, well balance and sufficient contrast, about 9.8 times better than my first Orion shot which was taken with a security cam. As for the mount, 80 EQ Sounds like an equatorial mount, should work, fine for AP, at least for wide field, one of this day must visit u to take a look :P
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Aleetk. Nice Orion attempt! You have come to right forum to learn more about AP from the AP experts here. Good luck in your AP adventure!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.