Stargazing in New Zealand: featured in Sunday Times 7-4-2013

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
rlow

Stargazing in New Zealand: featured in Sunday Times 7-4-2013

Post by rlow »

Stargazing in New Zealand: featured in Sunday Times Life Section today 7-4-2013
Richard Low
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Re: Stargazing in New Zealand: featured in Sunday Times 7-4-

Post by kochu »

Looks like some one in ST is keen on Astronomy now. Recently frequent Astro item appearing on ST. Good.
Kochu
starfinder

Re: Stargazing in New Zealand: featured in Sunday Times 7-4-

Post by starfinder »

It seems that that area around Lake Tekapo in New Zealand has been declared a Dark Sky Reserve by the Int'l Dark Sky Associattion, of 4,000+ sq km. See:
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/ ... ew-zealand

http://www.darksky.org/night-sky-conser ... y-reserves

I recall viewing the stars from there (Mt Cook Village) whilst on holiday about 10 yrs ago. The skies were inky black and dry. However it was winter then (early August) and freezing cold outdoors, so I could only do some brief viewing through binos.

Wouldn't it be good if the obs area at Telok Sari in Mersing district could be made a dark sky reserve too? It may perhaps not qualify for official IDSA status, but conceivably it could be declared at a national or state level. Let's suggest this to Malaysia / Johor? Tell them it would be good for tourism and int'l prestige, as well as for astronomers from Malaysia and Singapore. If implemented, I think it would for starters put a halt to an increase in nearby street lighting along the coastal road, for example. And public lighting in Mersing and Endau towns would have to be of the proper type.