Problem viewing Jupiter bands and details using Neximage

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
aleetk

Problem viewing Jupiter bands and details using Neximage

Post by aleetk »

Hi fellow stargazers! After waiting for such a long time for a relatively clear night which happens to be today, I wanted to try imaging jupiter using my Powerseeker 80eq and a Neximage webcam. I set my telescope's sights on jupiter using the agaration method. Once jupiter was centred on my eyepiece, I adjusted focus till it looks sharp then took out the eyepiece and inserted the neximage webcam into the telescope. The capturing software I am using is the amcap software that came along as a package when I bought the webcam. I could see jupiter on the screen and was excited to get started so I did a couple of setting as mentioned below before starting image capture.

Frame rate: 10 fps
Time limit: 120s (but I could have stopped capturing a little earlier.)
Shutter speed: Somehow I could not find any indication of what shutter speed it's set to. It's just a slider and I had to set it to the lowest possible in order to see jupiter appear properly.
Gain: Set it to as low as I could. Again in order to see jupiter properly.
Video output size: 640x480

The problem I experienced is that no matter what I did whether it was before the settings or even after, Jupiter still appeared as one large white blob on my screen. I could not see the bands or any other details on jupiter. What did I do wrong? Can anyone help me please so that I can try the next time round and hopefully get my 1st Jupiter image after such a long long wait.

Regards
Alex
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Problem viewing Jupiter bands and details using Neximage

Post by cloud_cover »

Is your eyepiece parfocal with Jupiter, that is to say, when Jupiter is focused in your eyepiece, will it also be focused in your Neximage? If not, you'll have to re-focus it for Neximage. I'm not familiar with your software but there should be a preview page where you can focus. Another method is to use the moons as a focusing aid: Focus your scope until the moons are as small as possible.
DON'T PANIC
aleetk

Re: Problem viewing Jupiter bands and details using Neximage

Post by aleetk »

hi cloud_cover. Thanks for the reply. The part about re-adjusting focus makes sense to me but somehow it did not come to my mind at that point of time. It's just like when I change to different eyepieces, I got to re-focus. Guess I was too excited or something to try focusing again when I attached the webcam. Can't wait to go out and try it again. Thanks again cloud_cover! :)