anyone tried obs at kranji dam area?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
ggodetucsamoht

anyone tried obs at kranji dam area?

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

At times i will pass by kranji dam (kranji reservoir park) after work and find that this place is quite clear off from any obstacle and it seems like a good spot for observing. Do not quite sure if this place is darker comparing to other parts of the island. Anyone explore this place before?
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: anyone tried obs at kranji dam area?

Post by Mariner »

The lights from JB will swamp everything. Plus there seems to be quite a bit of condensation and fogging in the area if I'm not wrong. Have driven past the area at night several times before and the fog was quite bad sometimes.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

One thing good about that area is the big sky dome which i ever notice. Light pollution across the causeway is something which we cant really avoid but perhap i may give it a try to explore the night sky there one of these days. the nearest carpark would be located at the kranji reservoir park. To setup the scope on the grass patch of the link road we got to do abit of walking if not we can only obs near the carpark which surrounded by some trees around.

Anyone interested to join me for a night ride to recce LCK and kranji night sky on coming 10 May?
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Would be heading to find a darker spot around lim chu kang area and soing little obs, anyone interested to join me?
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Found a relatively good spot for ops at LCK/neo tiew area. The place is located at the far end of the turut track off neo tiew road. This place is actually belongs to Babcock Communication Singapore Branch. It is a private area hemce not sure if we were to request for a night stay for observation if they will allow or not...m
Minus their outdoor building lamp lights then it will be a fantastic location for observation. Flat ground and big sky dome away from the HDB estate.
Gary

Post by Gary »

ggodetucsamoht wrote:Found a relatively good spot for ops at LCK/neo tiew area. The place is located at the far end of the turut track off neo tiew road. This place is actually belongs to Babcock Communication Singapore Branch. It is a private area hemce not sure if we were to request for a night stay for observation if they will allow or not...m
Minus their outdoor building lamp lights then it will be a fantastic location for observation. Flat ground and big sky dome away from the HDB estate.
Thanks for sharing results of your recce! Interesting location. According to google maps, there is a golf course nearby. Will those golf course lights affect the darkness of the observation site?
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Hi Gary
The golf course belongs to the NSRCC kranji. Light should be off during wee hours. From what i see it shouldnt affect the seeing condition. The only lights that is found there and musr not be shut off should be those red indicative lightings all over the electrical pylon and antena.