Just a curious concept on Image Stacking

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Just a curious concept on Image Stacking

Post by bornfree »

earllier i read an article where the Hubble was taking pictures of a single spot for 4months and the image was stacked. when the "dark spaces" between galaxies were magnified, alot more galaxies were revealed.

i wonder, there are probably hundreds of thousands of hobbyists aiming their camera up all night. taking hours and hours of shots of the sky and going back home to stack the images. i wonder is there a community where all these people selflessly upload all that they taken into a central repository and a software/server will process the stacking. the people can upload their pictures with tags of the objects they are taking or a general direction and a software that can like map out the stars and know which part of the sky that is. rotate the image to line up the stars and stack those images.

those who contributed could probably see a very awesome final product a community effort that could let the world see the entire night sky mapped by all the APers who willingly contributed. everyone may see even more than what their individual effort can produce.

i wonder if this is feasible.
Born to be Free