Bringing a scope on a plane

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
ABC1234
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Bringing a scope on a plane

Post by ABC1234 »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here brought their telescope on a flight before?

I plan to take my 6 inch SCT with me, with the OTA and fork arm as hand carried luggage, while the mount will go in the cargo.
Of course, both will be kept in bags padded with towels and bubble wrap.

However, I'm still worried about damaging my telescope during the flight. If anyone has brought their telescopes on flights before, do you have any tips on doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffyen
Favourite scope: Nexstar 8SE

Re: Bringing a scope on a plane

Post by jeffyen »

ABC1234 wrote:Hi everyone,

I plan to take my 6 inch SCT with me, with the OTA and fork arm as hand carried luggage, while the mount will go in the cargo.

However, I'm still worried about damaging my telescope during the flight. If anyone has brought their telescopes on flights before, do you have any tips on doing so?

I'm not sure a bag filled with just towel and bubble wrap will work. There's just not a lot of protection when the bag is going to be hurled several times by the baggage handlers. I think the best is something like the original packaging, a box with styrofoam...
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

jeffyen wrote:

I'm not sure a bag filled with just towel and bubble wrap will work. There's just not a lot of protection when the bag is going to be hurled several times by the baggage handlers. I think the best is something like the original packaging, a box with styrofoam...
He mentioned the OTA will be carried on. I dun see any issues as long as it fits into an airline approved cabin bag.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
jeffyen
Favourite scope: Nexstar 8SE

Post by jeffyen »

Mariner wrote:
jeffyen wrote:

He mentioned the OTA will be carried on. I dun see any issues as long as it fits into an airline approved cabin bag.
OTA is fine. I'm worried about the mount...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

jeffyen wrote:
Mariner wrote:

OTA is fine. I'm worried about the mount...
Since a fork was mentioned, I am assuming it is a Nextar 6SE. And by mount, that would naturally mean the tripod. So again, if the fork and OTA can fit into the cabin bag, there should be no worries. [smilie=cute2.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... ll/fpart/1

Reference for experience of carrying on a C8Edge OTA.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!