Singapore Excluding Astronomy In Education Is “Narrow-Minded

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Singapore Excluding Astronomy In Education Is “Narrow-Minded

Post by DarthCryder »

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Singapore Excluding Astronomy In Education Is “Narrow-Mi

Post by Airconvent »

In this fast pace world where Singaporeans seems to have no time for many pursuits, the key consideration in education is to balance on topics that will be useful for you to be socially and economically productive vs allowing you your own time to spend with your family as well. In fact, I think the syllabus has been progressively trimmed towards this goal. Astronomy would be better served as a school club. MOE can mandate a list of compulsory Clubs that all schools must have including astronomy. Presently it is only by preference. This will allow the topic to have the necessary exposure for those who are interested but never got the opportunity. Furthermore, I would think it would be acceptable to cover Astronomy as a topic under Science subjects as astronomy covers chemistry, nuclear physics, gravity and motion too amongst others.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

MOE has recently recorded some stargazing/astronomy videos shot in Singapore. I believe they are planning to do something about astronomy education locally.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

It's all about the $$$. No $$$ to be made in Astronomy. [smilie=bleeding.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

I think I have to agree with Mariner. No money to be made out of it so there's no focus on it. Do you all think the government is interested in astronomy? What have the government done in terms of boosting astronomy here? Are there any reserved sites in Singapore for astronomy? All you see day by day are more buildings popping up here and there that adds to the light pollution. Even observatories like the one at Science Centre are lighted up all around. Astronomy is only alive in Singapore bcos of certain wonderful people here who are willing to sacrifice and spend their precious time and effort to create awareness to the general public through workshops and sidewalk sessions etc. My 2 cents.
clovisity

Post by clovisity »

Agree with everyone's POV. Exciting times ahead. I believe Astronomy will pick up sooner or later with the number of sidewalks ongoing currently :)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Mariner wrote:It's all about the $$$. No $$$ to be made in Astronomy. [smilie=bleeding.gif]
To be more accurate, no GDP can be made out from astro!
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

if they open up tall hdb roof tops for astronomy we can have some darker skies during the night. just make sure fences are there to stop ppl from jumping..
Born to be Free
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

In our bad skies, it is almost impossible to fix "good" days to see the stars. Our secondary school kids do have camping expeditions to dark areas in Johore like the one I went to last week. They sang songs but I think it may be possible to convince the schools to include an astronomy segment. Jupiter was clear and bright but I did not have a scope with me...Only major problem is likely non of the teachers are trained. Perhaps they can set up a partnership with the Science Centre for this?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

I doubt HDB will let public go up to rooftops...all the water tanks are up there...now just have to be content with multistorey carparks which are brightly lit even though no cars park on the top level.(groan)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight