Singapore Excluding Astronomy In Education Is “Narrow-Minded

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
MooEy

Re: Singapore Excluding Astronomy In Education Is “Narrow-Mi

Post by MooEy »

aleetk wrote:I think I have to agree with Mariner. No money to be made out of it so there's no focus on it. Do you all think the government is interested in astronomy? What have the government done in terms of boosting astronomy here? Are there any reserved sites in Singapore for astronomy? All you see day by day are more buildings popping up here and there that adds to the light pollution. Even observatories like the one at Science Centre are lighted up all around. Astronomy is only alive in Singapore bcos of certain wonderful people here who are willing to sacrifice and spend their precious time and effort to create awareness to the general public through workshops and sidewalk sessions etc. My 2 cents.
I have to disagree with you on this. There has been a fair bit of support from our govt in terms of astronomy in the recent years. Nowadays we are starting to see astronomy clubs show up in community clubs, observatory being built for public viewing. I think alot more have to be done, but having the right attitude and mentality is important. Go out there and make things happen instead of sitting behind your computer and whine.

~MooEy~
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

Airconvent wrote:In our bad skies, it is almost impossible to fix "good" days to see the stars. Our secondary school kids do have camping expeditions to dark areas in Johore like the one I went to last week. They sang songs but I think it may be possible to convince the schools to include an astronomy segment. Jupiter was clear and bright but I did not have a scope with me...Only major problem is likely non of the teachers are trained. Perhaps they can set up a partnership with the Science Centre for this?
Hi Airconvent.

I am a senior volunteer at the science centre obs(scobs) and will be sure to ask the scobs management about this. I am also looking forward to Galaxy forum 2014 at the science centre for more discussions about collaborating with other schools as well as astro groups such as you guys to enhance astronomy in Singapore!

And yes, majority of the teachers, even in science department, are very unlikely to be trained in astronomy even though the subject has direct links to physics and chemistry. Not to mention equipment usage haha. An EQ mount is enough to nerve-whack anyone who is not familiar with the telescopes. :P
Thanks.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

MooEy +1
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Enterprise

Post by Enterprise »

Dark neptune, thats why there's a small group of us slowly building up in schools =)
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Good to hear that there's more schools taking interest in Astronomy...but Temasek's JC club (my old school) faded away for reasons unknown. Last I heard (back then) was it got merged into the Science Club.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

Enterprise wrote:Dark neptune, thats why there's a small group of us slowly building up in schools =)
Haha yup. Give it time!

But as with Antares said, I think sometimes there still a lack of community support for us youngsters to indulge astro with. (I am almost 20 btw, hence "us" haha). So have to think of ways to include that in! Otherwise many people originally interested in astro when they were young would lose interest and "move on".
Thanks.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Main thing why schools and education system not interested in astro-stuff is that---no price to be won and get famous.Also,no financial returns and GDP generated.Look at how sports are promoted.On the other hand,theortical science,like physics get more and more neglicated by society.
As for TJC,I actually try to do promo there about 3 yrs ago;but found student too busy with study--and by the time they have time to allocate for obing,its around Aug,so nothing quite interesting in the sky unlike Jan to Mayand also raining season makes the 2 slots of obing time a rainy evening.Their equipments are still working fine although a little complicated.
If anyone still want to do astro promo there,I suggest use their equipment but with a
HANDPHONE GO TO/PUSH TO so that student know immediately know what they are looking at.
Thanks.
NUSJ
Favourite scope: Schmidt Cassegrain

Post by NUSJ »

Hey guys, I'm an astrophysics major from US and I'm going to be an exchange student at NUS this fall. I'm very interested in the promotion of astronomy education. Actually, I'm thinking about doing a survey on this topic while at NUS cuz I know there are lots of amateurs in Singapore. It's such a pity there are so many talented youths in Singapore but few related courses are available to them at institutions like NUS. I want to hear your voice.
Gary

Post by Gary »

NUSJ wrote:Hey guys, I'm an astrophysics major from US and I'm going to be an exchange student at NUS this fall. I'm very interested in the promotion of astronomy education. Actually, I'm thinking about doing a survey on this topic while at NUS cuz I know there are lots of amateurs in Singapore. It's such a pity there are so many talented youths in Singapore but few related courses are available to them at institutions like NUS. I want to hear your voice.
Hi NUSJ. Welcome to the forum! I assume you will be also be in contact with the NUS Astronomical Society which will be very helpful to your conducting of your survey. Do start a new thread and show us your survey questionnaires (if any) when you are ready.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
brandon1987
Favourite scope: 70AZ Astromaster

Post by brandon1987 »

Hey guys,

I just stumbled on this forum while i'm at work. I have an AZ70 Astromaster sitting at my fiance's place in kovan with an accessory kit containing lenses varying from 6mm to 32mm and coloured lenses. I'm staying at AMK avenue 10 so i might drop by for some of your oberservation sessions. I usually do observations at my fiance's place coz she has an open roof with minimal light pollution. I am quite keen to study the basics of stellar and planetary positioning in the night sky but i can't find anyone to teach me. I have tried studying through books online but i'm having difficulty understanding them. I do have some knowledge on astronomy like characteristics of our solar system's moons and known discoveries about the system's planets but no one keen enough to discuss with.

I hope to get together with some of you guys once in awhile to do some academic study on astronomy and also learn a few things practically. I really hope to hear some responses

Brandon Hendricks signing off.
Brandon Hendricks signing off...