star map

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
starfirez

star map

Post by starfirez »

i was looking in the sky yesterday with my binos, but can only see a star or 2, so i tried to verify them with my star map and nearly fainted after half an hr. with a binos, i can see more star than my naked eyes, thus i am trying to draw out their shape, but it is very hard. moreover my binos is only 8x24, thus i have to more it around to see the stars around. so here are a few questions:
1) are to images in binos same as in telescope, as in inverted both ways?
2) when i love the binos down, will the images inside move up (normal) or down because the the inverted images?
3) when i hold the star map with its back to the sky and facing me, the north south east west should fall into the correct places?

thanx~
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: star map

Post by VinSnr »

starfirez wrote:i was looking in the sky yesterday with my binos, but can only see a star or 2, so i tried to verify them with my star map and nearly fainted after half an hr. with a binos, i can see more star than my naked eyes, thus i am trying to draw out their shape, but it is very hard. moreover my binos is only 8x24, thus i have to more it around to see the stars around. so here are a few questions:
1) are to images in binos same as in telescope, as in inverted both ways?
2) when i love the binos down, will the images inside move up (normal) or down because the the inverted images?
3) when i hold the star map with its back to the sky and facing me, the north south east west should fall into the correct places?

thanx~
For the first question, you can easily test for that by looking at daytime objects. Is it inverted? I doubt so....most binos give the correct orientation image.

For your second question..it is actually related to the first. Finding the answer to the first will answer your 2nd question.

The third question is tricky. But I am glad you asked. Learning to use starmaps is one of the most confusing thing a newbie can do. Problem is that most of our starmaps are drawn for use in Northern hemisphere like US. That's why..if you look at Orion in the map, it's position is "standing up" position. But in Singapore, Orion is in "lying down position" when it's in the east. So that add to a bit of confusion.

Now I want you to imagine this. If you are standing at the North pole , the star Polaris will be directly on top of your head. if you are standing at the equator (as in very close to Singapore), Polaris will be on the horizon at the North direction. So it seems that from being in the North Pole to the equator, the stars and everything has been turned 90 degrees counter-clock wise (assuming you are facing east)

So when you use your map, for constellations and stars that are around +20 dec to -20 dec , you will have to turn your map 90 degrees counter-clock wise to match your sky, when facing east. The best way to start is with Orion now in the East. If you turn your map 90 degrees counterclock wise, you will see that it now matches Orion's position in the sky. Then slowly learn the other stars from there.
Terry

Post by Terry »

You can try Starry Night program which can give you the correct position of all the objects as if you are looking at the sky. :D
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

i used starry night alreadi, trial period over. and its ex:(
thanx vin snr~ i'll try, but my place have serious night pollution haiz