Learning More of The Cosmos

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
brandon1987
Favourite scope: 70AZ Astromaster

Learning More of The Cosmos

Post by brandon1987 »

Hey guys,

I just stumbled on this forum while i'm at work. I have an AZ70 Astromaster sitting at my fiance's place in kovan with an accessory kit containing lenses varying from 6mm to 32mm and coloured lenses. I'm staying at AMK avenue 10 so i might drop by for some of your oberservation sessions. I usually do observations at my fiance's place coz she has an open roof with minimal light pollution. I am quite keen to study the basics of stellar and planetary positioning in the night sky but i can't find anyone to teach me. I have tried studying through books online but i'm having difficulty understanding them. I do have some knowledge on astronomy like characteristics of our solar system's moons and known discoveries about the system's planets but no one keen enough to discuss with.

I hope to get together with some of you guys once in awhile to do some academic study on astronomy and also learn a few things practically. I really hope to hear some response.

Oh btw this is a repost from another thread. (posted wrongly =X haha)
Brandon Hendricks signing off...
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Learning More of The Cosmos

Post by cloud_cover »

Hello!
One of the simplest ways to familiarize yourself with the night sky is to download a freeware such as Stellarium. It will show you (on an iphone or a computer) where things are in the sky. I used to bring my laptop to the window with me and try to identify hitherto invisible star patterns with my binoculars :)
Another convenient way is to download an information and star-map program. Personally I recommend Skysafari. It has a lot of fascinating information and is also useful in the field. Unfortunately its a paid program but the basic version is quite cheap and the intermediate is also cheap relative to the information it contains.
For more formalized learning, you can sign up for an astronomy class, such as https://www.coursera.org/course/introastro. I haven't done this one yet so I don't know how good or bad it is but the content page looks like its for everyone.
AZ70 is a fine beginner's scope although because of its long focal length the field of views can be a bit narrow. Use the 32mm eyepiece mainly to give you lower power but wider views so its easier to find targets and also necause most targets are best viewed at low to intermediate powers. Don't be obsessed with magnification. Try to find large, bright objects such as the Orion Nebula (its bright for nebulae but certainly not bright int he scope!), various brighter stars such as Sirius (to blind yourself), Betelgeuse (to see the beautiful red color) and if you do face south, then the Rigel-Kent, Hadar and Arcrux, all of which are bright double stars and may be split in your scope! There are also a lot of beautiful star fields in this area to enjoy, all to be found to Stellarium or any other planetarium program :)
Hope it helps!
DON'T PANIC
brandon1987

Post by brandon1987 »

I think i can get skysafari off torrents or something so i might get that covered.
Ill get Stellarium asap and play around with it.
Thx for the info on the magnification tip, all the while i thought higher magnification was best lol.
AND i didnt know there were classes for astronomy lol ill definitely give it a go and share here.

Will update here in this thread regularly =D
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Brandon
Why not use google sky map--its free-- if your os is Android.Then just aim your phone to 'anywhere in the sky'and it will show you where/what you are aiming at.You can also follow the procedure I listed in 'Handphone go to' and mount one in the finder bracket of your telescope and you can navigate the night sky like a pro.My 2 cents.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Don't pirate :) After all, its not as if its an expensive or unaffordable app, especially the basic version which is anything but basic. Besides, they do update the app periodically and minor bodies such as comets are included in these updates for the Plus and above
My personal opinion is that the basic version is well sufficient for most observers with smaller scopes and who don't go much to dark sites: It shows stars down to Mag 8 which is about all an 80mm scope can see. These stars are in fact quite dim even in a 100mm. At $4 its a cheap and good starting point for most beginners who can't decide if they are going to stick with the hobby.
On the other hand, the Plus version will probably give you all you ever need for just about any visual observing and its a fantastic virtual encyclopedia of astronomical knowledge and at $19 its cheap compared to any similar astronomy books.
But yes, Google Sky Maps is the free alternative and will be sufficient for the AZ70.
DON'T PANIC
brandon1987

Post by brandon1987 »

Sorry for late replies been busy working hard for my new house =D

@superiorstream

Im using SkEye on my phone and its kindda accurate but still off by abit. I didnt know google had sky maps lol. Thx for the tip. Will give it a shot =D

@cloud_cover

ok ill try to be a legit consumer hehe =D I dun think of it as a hobby in my case btw. Coz i have been learning alot over a period of 2years. Been watching alot of The Universe documentary and did a little wee bit of reading in my spare time. Ill consider it to be more of an interest rather than a hobby. Really hope an opportunity like a poly diploma or college degree will open up for astronomy soon =(
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

make sure if you are using a casing for your phone, there is no magnet on the phone.. as that will interfere with the internal compass..
Born to be Free