Unexplainable moving object near moon - 0300hrs, 19Apr14.

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Re: Unexplainable moving object near moon - 0300hrs, 19Apr14

Post by Great Red Spot »

Twice when I was looking at stars I saw a star-like object moving past the FOV. It took about 1 to 2 seconds to move past the FOV, which is clearly too slow to be a meteorite. I was told that it might have been a satellite.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yes if the object is like a dot and moves quite fast it is a orbiting satellite. Once few years back, I had the amazing view of this 'dot' that transited across Saturn. I was at 416x magnification and I followed the 'dot' and behold, it uncloaked itself! Probably sunlight retro-reflected it and it reviewed it's true self. I could see the satellite golden body and solar panels very clearly for perhaps 3 seconds before it went back to a 'dot'.
AstroDuck
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

Yes. I too saw this moving star like object on at least several occasions while observing the night sky. I did happen to see it yesterday too while I was observing mars.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Longislandtea70
Indeed,I think what you see might be a UFO or else --no explanation.You are using a spoting scope and perhaps have the whole moon in your FOV.Now as you said--it transit the WHOLE
moon in 5 Minute.If you take the diameter if the moon into consideration and calculate the speed of that object,THAT OBJECT will fly away from the moon as the moon gravity CANNOT
hold such high speed object.Moreover,ALL those small man made objects cannot be seen through the small telescope of amateur.--so if it can be seen through your spoting scope;it must be big,real big.So just from speed and size consideration;it must be a UFO.(ha,ha--
perhaps the UFO that took away MH370--??)
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

And another suggestion--
Have a observation buddy or have a second scope.When such strange thing happen,ring him
up to have him also observe to confirm the sighting(or use the second scope to confirm);then in real time,both post in our forum to get more witness.Our forum might even get famous and be the FIRST sight to have CONFIRMED sighting of UFO!
LongIslandTea70

Post by LongIslandTea70 »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,Longislandtea70
Indeed,I think what you see might be a UFO or else --no explanation.You are using a spoting scope and perhaps have the whole moon in your FOV.Now as you said--it transit the WHOLE
moon in 5 Minute.If you take the diameter if the moon into consideration and calculate the speed of that object,THAT OBJECT will fly away from the moon as the moon gravity CANNOT
hold such high speed object.Moreover,ALL those small man made objects cannot be seen through the small telescope of amateur.--so if it can be seen through your spoting scope;it must be big,real big.So just from speed and size consideration;it must be a UFO.(ha,ha--
perhaps the UFO that took away MH370--??)

Well I do have the whole view but the object travel not exactly the diameter of the moon but rather, the lower hemisphere, travelling right to left motion, 4/5 o'clock to 7/8 o'clock across. Each sighting last about 20secs. This was witnessed by 2 person so it' can't be floaters or hallucination.

We dare not think of UFO as this is the very first time we are testing a brand new telescope. We were clueless so we want to find out more what we could possibly be looking at...
Tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide could bring?
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

If it was a satellite, then the ones I saw were traveling much much faster - I did not react fast enough to be able to track it. Either that or I saw an extremely slow meteorite .....