Moon Table.

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
LongIslandTea70

Moon Table.

Post by LongIslandTea70 »

Last edited by LongIslandTea70 on Tue May 06, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide could bring?
LongIslandTea70

Re: Moon Table.

My second attempt to capture the Moon. Scope: Celestron Ultima 100, Photo taken from a Blackberry camera... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Over-exposed but still a nice attempt. [smilie=good-job.gif]

Try shooting through ND moon filter. Play with exposure value and ISO settings in your phone camera if possible.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
LongIslandTea70

Gary wrote:Over-exposed but still a nice attempt. [smilie=good-job.gif]

Try shooting through ND moon filter. Play with exposure value and ISO settings in your phone camera if possible.
Thank you Sir! Note well taken.

Btw, I tried snapping with a digital camera but not successful. Only smart phone seems to be able to capture. Any idea why?

Thanks.
Gary

Post by Gary »

LongIslandTea70 wrote:
Gary wrote:Over-exposed but still a nice attempt. [smilie=good-job.gif]

Thank you Sir! Note well taken.

Btw, I tried snapping with a digital camera but not successful. Only smart phone seems to be able to capture. Any idea why?

Thanks.
I am not knighted, you can just call me Gary. :)

I am not an astrophotography/photography expert. Just sharing some of my speculations:

- Digital camera should be able to do eyepiece projection photography too. Easier when mounted on camera adapters mounted on the telescope.
- Phone camera may be easier because one can bring its sensor nearer to the eyepiece projected image compared to the "obstruction" and increase in focusing distance created by the longer lens of a digital camera.
- For hand-holding, it's easier to point a flat phone perpendicular to the eyepiece.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

If you used a digital camera, you can set a faster exposure speed and avoid the whiteout. The other way is to put a cardboard with a smaller hole at the front end of the scope to reduce the light.
Depending on the lens design, you may have severe vignetting, so there may be a need to move your camera around until you reach the sweet spot where the image appears. Good luck! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
LongIslandTea70

Airconvent wrote:If you used a digital camera, you can set a faster exposure speed and avoid the whiteout. The other way is to put a cardboard with a smaller hole at the front end of the scope to reduce the light.
Depending on the lens design, you may have severe vignetting, so there may be a need to move your camera around until you reach the sweet spot where the image appears. Good luck! :)
Thanks Airconvent for your valuable advice. Will try it out.

Well appreciated. :)