Link : light transmission for telescope designs.

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Link : light transmission for telescope designs.

Post by Airconvent »

A good read if you want to know more about why a 4" refractor performs better than a 6" SCT...

http://www.licha.de/AstroWeb/articles_f ... 3?iHowTo=8
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: Link : light transmission for telescope designs.

Post by kayheem »

Airconvent wrote:A good read if you want to know more about why a 4" refractor performs better than a 6" SCT...

http://www.licha.de/AstroWeb/articles_f ... 3?iHowTo=8
Hi Rich,

Your post is a bit misleading. The article does not say that a 4" refractor performs better than a 6" SCT. It may allude to a better light transmission, but performance is more than that, surely!

If I were a newbie taking your post superficially, I could make a refractor using a magnifying glass (2 air-glass interface) and think it would peform better than an SCT!

Don't mean to 'hum-tum' you, but you should qualify your statements to aid the newbies, although I am sure the more scope-savvy ones know what you are talking about. I *am* quite an SCT fan, you know! :D

Kay Heem
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Link : light transmission for telescope designs.

Post by VinSnr »

Hi Rich,

Your post is a bit misleading. The article does not say that a 4" refractor performs better than a 6" SCT. It may allude to a better light transmission, but performance is more than that, surely!

If I were a newbie taking your post superficially, I could make a refractor using a magnifying glass (2 air-glass interface) and think it would peform better than an SCT!

Don't mean to 'hum-tum' you, but you should qualify your statements to aid the newbies, although I am sure the more scope-savvy ones know what you are talking about. I *am* quite an SCT fan, you know! :D

Kay Heem
yeah man, Rich. All it says is that the refractor design has better light transmission...it didn't say it will win the bigger SCT!

Better light transmission and the amount of light is two different thing! Also, with all those UHTC and starbright coatings, the SCT tranmission may be better than what is calculated in the article...

Don't anyhow pull a fast one ok? hehehehehehe :lol: :lol:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

alamak...you all keep on forgetting I'm a newbie...I just regurgitate what the "apparent" gurus say...heh heh...good that 2 SCT lovers responded here!
now if I can get KH to part his beloved 5" for an 8" heh heh
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
yllow

Post by yllow »

Airconvent wrote:alamak...you all keep on forgetting I'm a newbie...I just regurgitate what the "apparent" gurus say...heh heh...good that 2 SCT lovers responded here!
now if I can get KH to part his beloved 5" for an 8" heh heh
How can Captain Kirk be a newbie, then I am a ultimate newbie. You forgot to mention 1x 5" refractor can buy 2x 8" SCT.