Any review on the Nexstar 8

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Any review on the Nexstar 8

Post by Airconvent »

Hi,
Anyone can give a review of their views of the Nexstar 8 (single forkarm) compared with an LX90 8" as well as the nexstar 8 gps (dual forkarm)?
Worth to get?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Any review on the Nexstar 8

Post by VinSnr »

Airconvent wrote:Hi,
Anyone can give a review of their views of the Nexstar 8 (single forkarm) compared with an LX90 8" as well as the nexstar 8 gps (dual forkarm)?
Worth to get?

rich
i wouldn't advise the single arm Nextar 8. Too unstable IMO.

LX-90 for budget concious.

Nextstar8 GPS is the best of the whole lot.
yllow

Re: Any review on the Nexstar 8

Post by yllow »

Airconvent wrote:Hi,
Worth to get?

rich
Hmm, Captain Kirk wants to migrate from M to C. With my limited knowledge in telescope, but I still think the dual forkarm is alot better than the single forkarm. I still remember before I purchase my 8GPS, I cannot decide whether to get 8i(Single) or 8GPS(double). Then I went down to astro scientific to take a look at how big the 5i and 8" OTA. After the trip, I decided on double forkarm. Single forkarm is ok for 4-5" OTA, but it certainly NOT OK for 8" OTA. Too heavy and the single forkarm will have alot of stress and might cause tracking error in long run. So, end up paying for more and heavier to get 8GPS.
You might want to ask is it worth getting the GPS option, I can tell you GPS is only good in helping you to locate your location, help in locating the first 2 stars for alignment. After that, it has serve it's purpose. It's good for a super newbie like me who knows nothing much about the sky. I am sure Captain Kirk can just give the command to Mr Sulu, warp 7 to Vega star. :roll:
Yah, forgot 1 thing, only Celestron model the nexstar GPS series and CGE series has the capability of firmware upgrade for motor controller and hand controller.

YL Low
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi VinSnr/YL,
Capt Kirk lives in the US and is retired. Capt Airconvent is current Captain of RSS Enterprise... :D

Anyway, yeah, its pretty frustrating that there are so many conflicting choices.
I like Meade's autostar and would prefer a Meade but comparing between the Matthew's LX90 and your N8GPS, the N8 clearly wins hands down for visual use. Of course, the difference could be due to collimation...

But pretty obvious, for some reason, presumably so as not to cannibalise its own LX200 market, Meade saw fit to "degrade" the LX90 for market differentiation. The goto is very slow, even slower than my ETX! I've observed that it takes longer to set up the LX90 compared with the N8.

That aside, I also know its not fair to compare the N8GPS with the LX90 since it is in the same class as the LX200 instead.

Due to price consideration, I also considered the single fork arm N8i .
Seems like Meade does not have a similar 8" product in that price range. I did not consider the LXD55 series as I do not like equatorial mounts with all those weights attached! The 8i certainly looks attractive if not for the misgivings given by some of you on single fork arm designs...

Looks like I would sit and wait for Meade to release an ETX200 SCT!

So is it a blessing in disguise that the sky is so cloudy that I have no real motivation to upgrade my aperture?

rich :roll:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
yllow

Celestron 8i

Post by yllow »

Hi Rich,

You might want to check out the review in cloudynights on nexstar 8 vs nexstar 8i. One thing thou, the OTA in the 8GPS is carbon fiber. Alternate source can joing the yahoogroup nexstar or nexstargps group to see what other says. Otherwise, I think Matthew might be putting up his LX90 for sales.

YL Low
JY

Post by JY »

On the slew speed of the LX90 : the maximum slew speed is adjustable from the autostar menu.
You can adjust it and set it to your own choice, faster but noisier, or quieter but slower.

Cheers

Jean-Yves