Astronomy Magazine Subscription

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Astronomy Magazine Subscription

Post by kochu »

I was a subscriber to Astronomy Magazine for the last 15 years .
From Last Dec I stopped receiving Print Copies , though my Subscription was valid till July 19 (I used to subscribe every 3 years for print and Digital versions).
This time when I renewed my subscription for a one year. they suggested me to opt for Digital only, due to "my challenges " in receiving print copies .
Just wondering if any other subscribers in Sing Astro is having similar problems in getting Astronomy Mag.
Kochu/91013971
geyes30

Re: Astronomy Magazine Subscription

Post by geyes30 »

I've never missed a copy of the magazine in 1+ year of subscription.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Kochu, nope...I don't have problems receiving mine. Sometimes they arrive later. Not an issue for me.

Only had problems with S&T previously but that was because of their local courier service then. Although S&T always resend me a replacement copy, it got so bad, I simply decided not to bother. But that was like more than 8 years ago. Maybe different now.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kochu

Post by kochu »

Thanks
Do you all still have subscriptions
Brgds
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Yes....mine still active. :)
kochu

Post by kochu »

Thanks AC,
It is really surprising. After a slew of correspondence regarding discontinuation of print issues look at what reply I got from them yesterday.
In my case I happen to reside in a country or region whis are out of their control (Surprise Surprise. !!!!!!)

---------------------------------
Dear A,

Thank you for your response. On April 30, 2019, a subscription renewal was entered for the Print + Digital version of the Astronomy Magazine bringing the expiration date to July 2020.

In rare instances, there are customers to whom print copies do not arrive because of delivery challenges within a certain country or region which are out of our control. This subscription has 11 issues remaining that can be transferred to 18 Digital Only issues. We can either transfer the issue to Digital or extend the subscription to compensate for the missing issues.

We appreciate this opportunity to be of service.

Evelynn
Astronomy Customer Service
=================================
kochu

Post by kochu »

Latest info on S&T. / Kochu
------------------
The American Astronomical Society (AAS) has agreed to acquire Sky & Telescope (S&T) magazine and its related business assets, including the skyandtelescope.com website, SkyWatch annual, digital editions, astronomy-themed tours, and S&T-branded books, sky atlases, globes, apps, and other stargazing products.

S&T's current owner, the magazine- and book-publishing company F+W Media, sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March 2019 after what court filings described as six years of poor strategy and management at the corporate level. The AAS, the major organization of professional astronomers in North America and a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, was the winning bidder for S&T in a bankruptcy auction process that concluded on Monday, 17 June, pending approval by all parties to the transaction, final documentation, filing of final sales agreements and schedules with the bankruptcy court, and a successful closing process.
---------------------
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

A society acquiring an old brand to save it from extinction. But not sure how a profit making entity and a special interest society can co-exist. So sad that astronomy as a hobby is in decline. I remember both S&T and Astronomy were very thick magazines back in the old days with many adverts too. Today they are struggling to survive, and I am doing my little part by subscribing to them. The articles are still of very high quality. Just that the market for good stuff is no longer significant....
kochu

Post by kochu »

Hi Chee Chian,
Is your Astronomy Mag delivered by Pitney Bowes, I do not have recent cover notes which accompany the Magazine .
Brgds
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

Looks like I spoke too soon and erroneously. I'm currently missing August 2019, and, now that I looked back, probably Nov 2018 also.