I am a newbie to astro

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:
weixing wrote:Hi,
I think a 5" or smaller MCT/refractor is more suitable for you, for the following reason:
1) It is much cheaper than the INTES MN61. I would not recommend you to spent too much money for your first scope.
2) It is more portable than a INTES MN61. Importance if you will be observe alone.
3) The MCT/refractor normally do not require to collimate. This will save your time and have more time for your observation. For someone new, collimation is not so easy.

Anyway, I own a SkyWatcher 5" MCT and I'm very happy with it... value for money... :D

Have a nice day.
for MCT/refractor, is it possible to get one within the range of $200 - $500?? pardon me if my budget is too low..
For that budget, a 5" MCT is not very possible..unless you can get a used one.

A 80mm refractor maybe.

But I do agree with what Charlie had said. If you dun really have a good budget now, what you should do is get a pair of bino. Learn the skies using the bino first. A bino is very versatile, you can use it for other purposes, so there won't be any waste.

I started witha bino too....
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

harlequin2902 wrote:Hi IceAngel,

For portability, I don't think a Mak-Newt will meet your requirements. They are usually quite long and heavy (especially those from Intes), and a simple alt-az mount is not able to handle them. You will need a sturdier equatorial mount to support them which makes the whole package very bulky and not-very-portable in the end.
Hi harlequin.. eh.. i have gone to ur website which sell the telescope, but the price is not stated.. so wat's the price for the cheaper range of scope for beginner like me which already have everything a beginner need?? maybe u can name some prices as well..

i am sorry everyone that i ask alot of questions.. coz i need to get familiarise with the terms of astro and the specs of scopes then i can get something that satisfy my needs for astro... sorry :( :(
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

VinSnr wrote:
IceAngel wrote:
I think a 5" or smaller MCT/refractor is more suitable for you, for the following reason:
1) It is much cheaper than the INTES MN61. I would not recommend you to spent too much money for your first scope.
2) It is more portable than a INTES MN61. Importance if you will be observe alone.
3) The MCT/refractor normally do not require to collimate. This will save your time and have more time for your observation. For someone new, collimation is not so easy.

Anyway, I own a SkyWatcher 5" MCT and I'm very happy with it... value for money... :D

Have a nice day.

for MCT/refractor, is it possible to get one within the range of $200 - $500?? pardon me if my budget is too low..
For that budget, a 5" MCT is not very possible..unless you can get a used one.

A 80mm refractor maybe.

But I do agree with what Charlie had said. If you dun really have a good budget now, what you should do is get a pair of bino. Learn the skies using the bino first. A bino is very versatile, you can use it for other purposes, so there won't be any waste.

I started witha bino too....
hmm.. ok.. but wat kind of bino?? i have one bino that used for watching birds and wildlife.. is that useful for astro as well?

BTW, is there anyone selling used MCT?? or refractor?? and roughly wat's the price??
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

hmm.. ok.. but wat kind of bino?? i have one bino that used for watching birds and wildlife.. is that useful for astro as well?

BTW, is there anyone selling used MCT?? or refractor?? and roughly wat's the price??
A 10x50 bino would be good as a starting point.

For used scopes, maybe you can post a WANTED ad in the buy and sell forum?
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

VinSnr wrote:

A 10x50 bino would be good as a starting point.

For used scopes, maybe you can post a WANTED ad in the buy and sell forum?
hmm... 10X50... ok... i will go and search for that.. if my house has it, happy... if not, i go out and look for one.. may i know where can i get bino in singapore??
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

hmm... 10X50... ok... i will go and search for that.. if my house has it, happy... if not, i go out and look for one.. may i know where can i get bino in singapore??
go to lucky plaza and find. Or, go look for harlequinn astronomics Samuel and he will recommend you one.

Samuel lurks around here too.
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

alright~ i will go hunt for a bino... but i heard alot of negetive comment about Lucky Plaza's shop... can recommend some shops that can be trust? hehe.. coz i scare of being conned :oops:
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think you can try McGill, they are selling Vixen Ascot 10x50 bino at around S$190 and Sky-Watcher SK709EQ1 70mm Achromatic Refractor with EQ1 mount at around S$450.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

I think you can try McGill, they are selling Vixen Ascot 10x50 bino at around S$190 and Sky-Watcher SK709EQ1 70mm Achromatic Refractor with EQ1 mount at around S$450.

Have a nice day.
McGill is a shop name in lucky plaza?? hehe.. coz just now i also saw McGill but i dunno wat it is...
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

No, Mcgill is not a shop in Lucky Plaza. Check them out at www.mcgill.com.sg. From what i know, TP doesnt have any Astronomy Club. So Lone ranger, planning to start one in your school?

BTW, im from NP. =)