I am a newbie to astro

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

hmm... i have another question to ask... are there telescopes that can be attached to a digi cam to take picture??
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:hmm... i have another question to ask... are there telescopes that can be attached to a digi cam to take picture??
i think most telescopes can be attached with a digicam. All you need is the right adaptors for your digicam.

Talk to Samuel of Harlequinn astronomics for this. He has plenty of adaptors for different digital cameras
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

VinSnr wrote:
IceAngel wrote:1) i use public transport as i am still a student..
2) actually any scope will do...
3) i also dunno wat will the scope price.. when i know the price, then i can set budget.. i need a range 1st.. coz i scare i will give an unreasonable price..
There are two scopes I will recommend to you. One is an 80mm refractor which I think is a good starter scope with very good portability. Another one is a 5" Mak, very good value, but bigger than the 80mm refractor so portability will be a little more of a hassle than the 80mm scope.

Both with a camera tripod should be less than $1K. To buy the 5" scope, you can look for McGill. If you want the 80mm refractor, I think Samuel of harlequinn astronomics has one for sale at a very good price. Maybe just the one you need.
hmm... i have read through the newbie FAQ posted by acc... and i find that Mak is suitable for me.. coz i need a better image and cost...

"Portability, Cost and image quality are all relative to the individual. Most of the time, you can only choose 2 out of the 3. If portability and cost are your main considerations, you may want to choose a short achromat refractor or a smaller (5”) SCT or MCT on an alt-az mount. If cost and image quality matter to you, you can choose a simple reflector or the Mak-Newt. These will give the best images for the dollar." by acc

so i choose :

Mak-Newt e.g. Intes MN61, Intes Micro MN66
• Very good images, almost on par with apos of same aperture
• Good for both wide-field and high power views
• Moderate cost
• No CA
• More expensive than reflector and SCT/MCT of same aperture
• Needs collimation for best performance

is this alright for me? where can i get this info from website??
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

is www.iteastronomy.com a good site to learn abt astro??
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

can binoculars also be used to see stars??
but it doesnt focus much right??
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Well, i'll recommend u to start off with binoculars if you have'nt grasped much about the night skies. A good pair of binos will really turn out to be an eye-pleaser and a good learning tool.

For a student like you, why not get a binos first and familiarize yourself to the night skies, then when you are financially stable, get a good maiden scope. Of course, by then, you wouldn't want to dispose your binos yet. It is an indespensable tool during your observing sessions.

2 eons worth
Charlie

P.S: How old are you? Just started out in this hobby?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think a 5" or smaller MCT/refractor is more suitable for you, for the following reason:
1) It is much cheaper than the INTES MN61. I would not recommend you to spent too much money for your first scope.
2) It is more portable than a INTES MN61. Importance if you will be observe alone.
3) The MCT/refractor normally do not require to collimate. This will save your time and have more time for your observation. For someone new, collimation is not so easy.

Anyway, I own a SkyWatcher 5" MCT and I'm very happy with it... value for money... :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hi IceAngel,

For portability, I don't think a Mak-Newt will meet your requirements. They are usually quite long and heavy (especially those from Intes), and a simple alt-az mount is not able to handle them. You will need a sturdier equatorial mount to support them which makes the whole package very bulky and not-very-portable in the end.
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

Grievous wrote:Well, i'll recommend u to start off with binoculars if you have'nt grasped much about the night skies. A good pair of binos will really turn out to be an eye-pleaser and a good learning tool.

For a student like you, why not get a binos first and familiarize yourself to the night skies, then when you are financially stable, get a good maiden scope. Of course, by then, you wouldn't want to dispose your binos yet. It is an indespensable tool during your observing sessions.

2 eons worth
Charlie

P.S: How old are you? Just started out in this hobby?
i am 19, currectly studying in Temasek Poly.. if i start off with bino, i already have one average type bino with me.. but i tried to use it and see.. it doesnt satisfy me.. sorry.. maybe i am too fussy..
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I think a 5" or smaller MCT/refractor is more suitable for you, for the following reason:
1) It is much cheaper than the INTES MN61. I would not recommend you to spent too much money for your first scope.
2) It is more portable than a INTES MN61. Importance if you will be observe alone.
3) The MCT/refractor normally do not require to collimate. This will save your time and have more time for your observation. For someone new, collimation is not so easy.

Anyway, I own a SkyWatcher 5" MCT and I'm very happy with it... value for money... :D

Have a nice day.
for MCT/refractor, is it possible to get one within the range of $200 - $500?? pardon me if my budget is too low..
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-