I am a newbie to astro

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I've never used a skychart. Being close to the equator we would see part of both northern & southern hemisphere. In that case I guess just the northern hemisphere skymap is not enough...are there any skymaps for the equatorial regions? What region maps do you guys use? Thanks.

cheers
I do recommend this relatively simple to read but 'real' star atlas known as the Cambridge Star Atlas. I've been using it since Day 1 until now, Day.....um, lost count =P I photocopied the atlas and had it shrunk to A4 size. Very portable. It fits nicely on top, in my Pronto's case.

It's always with me during ob sessions. Anybody else here uses the Cambridge version too ?

I think another relatively easy to use atlas is this one called 'Wil Tirion's Bright Star Atlas' or something.
Samuel Ng
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Yes, Cambridge Star Atlas is used by me as a second choice other than the Stars and Planets. The atlas give very detailed and accurate maps and all the stat. of objects located inside the atlas. Good book.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Sam Lee wrote:Yes, Cambridge Star Atlas is used by me as a second choice other than the Stars and Planets. The atlas give very detailed and accurate maps and all the stat. of objects located inside the atlas. Good book.
ah yes...now that you mention it, the Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath is also a very good book. Highly recommended and cheap at less than $30.
Use the skymap chart for general location of constellations and the individual constellation charts in the book to look for objects of interest in that constellation..

as for Sam's Cambridge Star Atlas recommendation, that's going into hard core and I don't think it would be suitable for a beginner unless someone is there to guide the newbie the first few days.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Ah... hi samuel, i've used that Wil Tirion's Bright Star Atlas before... nice atlas, easy to use too!

There are actually planispheres made for equatorial regions, specifically for singapore. From what I remember Astro Scientific does sell them. That's the most basic way of learning the stars, because it's relative position in the night sky is shown to you quickly. Only disadvantage of a planisphere: no deep-sky-objects in that chart...
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

ah yes...now that you mention it, the Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath is also a very good book. Highly recommended and cheap at less than $30.
Use the skymap chart for general location of constellations and the individual constellation charts in the book to look for objects of interest in that constellation..
as for Sam's Cambridge Star Atlas recommendation, that's going into hard core and I don't think it would be suitable for a beginner unless someone is there to guide the newbie the first few days.
Ah, yes, the constellation maps at the back of Stars & Planets are also quite nice. I still use that sometimes during light observing sessions.

Cambridge Star Atlas is not really that hard core as the maps are quite straightforward and easy to read, but yes, it's quite true like what you said - beginners may need someone to start showing them how to use it. But once that's done, I'm sure they'll pick up from there themselves. Easily.

If you're talking about hardcore, then I think the 3 volumes of Uranometria will qualify nicely 8)
Samuel Ng
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi all
This long, rambling discussion has been locked.... Please post your queries and discussions in a new topic under relevant headings. Thanks!

cheers
chee chien