Astronomical weather forecast

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
gchew

Astronomical weather forecast

Post by gchew »

Here's a site that I thought might be of interest to amateur astronomers:

http://csc.lamost.org/eng/index.htm

and this is the page for Singapore:

http://csc.lamost.org/eng/clocks/singapore.htm

This is based on the original Clear Sky Clock at http://www.cleardarksky.com/csk/ . Somewhere else on the site, something is said about 7Timer using a weather data set different from what the original CSC uses, and so prediction accuracies are only at 60-70%. Nevertheless, it might still be useful to see reliable these predictions are for local observing sessions
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Thanks for the info! If I read it correctly, this weekend should be clearing up!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I have been following the cloud cover forcast of this site for the past 3 weeks and I must say that it has so far exceeded my expectations! It really does give quite an accurate forcast of whether and when exactly the sky will be clear. I check it now to plan my observation sessions in Singapore.

Thanks a lot for sharing the link, gchew!

Might I also recommend 'sticky'-ing this link for the benefit of others if it proves to be a useful and accurate website.

Cheers,
cy
rlow

Post by rlow »

Wish it also includes a weather forcast for Mersing...
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

yup, this website does help alot for my practical session. Thanks alot, i had link it to RPASTRO webby liao for the benefical for others =)

~RPASTRO~
klutz

Post by klutz »

Hi, How do you actually read the table? Why are there so many duplicate digits under "Local Time"...?

Regards,
Kat
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...
jermng

Post by jermng »

Those are the times - 2am, 5am, 8am, 11am, 1400hrs(2pm) etc the bigger white numbers on top are the dates.... the colours below represent the cloud cover and things like that ... the instructions below are pretty clear ...
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Look at the weather forecast on 12 Feb 2006 20:00... cloud cover is state as clear (no cloud), but transparency forecast is very poor... hmm... ??? Just wondering what does this mean??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
klutz

Post by klutz »

Those are the times - 2am, 5am, 8am, 11am, 1400hrs(2pm) etc the bigger white numbers on top are the dates.... the colours below represent the cloud cover and things like that ... the instructions below are pretty clear ...
Okay, now I understood... previously I thought they were numbers as such "1 1 1 2 2 2 5 8 1 4 etc.." (two lines). Din't realise I have to read the top & bottom combined to form the hours. :) Thanks!
jermng

Post by jermng »

WX, from what I understand, cloud cover is of course the amount of clouds ... transparency is the "seeing" - like air turbulence, amount of air pollution overhead ( I have NO idea how they predict that) and stuff like that.

Don't ask me the science behind those ... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA