starville condo, gimmick or possibility?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
MooEy

starville condo, gimmick or possibility?

Post by MooEy »

http://www.starville.com.sg/

for those who have been watching tv and reading newspaper , u would have noticed the advertisement about this condo.

it was once advertising for ard 300k+++. my dad went there and ask ard, it was for a 1 room apartment >.< something that would fit my family cost ard 800k++.

just wondering if anyone of u would ever consider this condo, and whether u think it would provide a suitable location and equipments for stargazing.

oh ya, if ur buying, remember to invite us over =D

~MooEy~
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: starville condo, gimmick or possibility?

Post by VinSnr »

MooEy wrote:http://www.starville.com.sg/

for those who have been watching tv and reading newspaper , u would have noticed the advertisement about this condo.

it was once advertising for ard 300k+++. my dad went there and ask ard, it was for a 1 room apartment >.< something that would fit my family cost ard 800k++.

just wondering if anyone of u would ever consider this condo, and whether u think it would provide a suitable location and equipments for stargazing.

oh ya, if ur buying, remember to invite us over =D

~MooEy~
I did consider getting a 2 bedroom unit just for myself, but later realise the 2 bedroom units are on the last block, no swimmining pool view. However, that block is the one with the observatory on top. Furthermore, the legal completion is in 2009...can't wait that long la.

By the way, that Big Meade scope next to Moses Lim in the ad is it sponsored by Wee Kiong?
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I think the scope that will be put in the 'observatory' will be destined to a hard-and-short life of abuse by out-of-control kids and over-zealous cleaning with a scrub and detergent... :shock:
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

i think it's more of a gimmick. the scope is for drawing buyers... business tactics i suppose.
Nikonian Foo

Post by Nikonian Foo »

After you buy the condo, they change the giant Meade in the commercial to a 60mm refractor from Toy's R Us...
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Actually, is there a observatory is not importance, as long as they allow you to go to roof top anytime and there isn't any taller building near by.... :P

How I wish HDB do allows people to access the flat roof top... of course they must build some safety barrier first... :P
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Remember we had this discussion in the Yahoogroups the last time - I did speak with the management myself, and sadly , via inference during the conversation and in my personal opinion, there seems to be no real interest in pursuing a true Astronomy theme at all. (other than having blocks named after constellations and minor "related" stuff) Seems like they just want to have one monster-of-a-telescope up there and that's it. Symbolic. It'll be nice if they observe light discipline though. I think that's the least any management can do where an Astronomy related theme is concerned.

But still I think they are pretty serious about having a *real* scope up there though. Because at that time, the management told me that they are setting their sights on a 16" fully computerized compound telescope for the observatory. Equipment junkies : No prizes for guessing what that is !
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I thought someone from Singastro actually bought a unit there...is it Charlie, Sam Chng or Shuan Tay?
Anyway, with hundreds of people staying there, your access time would be limited. You need to align your "slot" with clear skies. I think it would have been better if the provide a flat top roof for people with their own instruments....only worry is lightning...!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

The 7"LX200 is on loan till the 'open house' ceases.
Should have been the Meade 16" LX200 GPS on display but Budget
constraint !!!

Expects at least a 14" SCT GOTO on a 4m Observatory, basic accessories
for CCD imaging, S/W, scheduled training & probably vendor maintenance for at least a year upon commissioning. After which the
Condo management will take over.

Wee Kiong
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

WoOOO, remember to ask us along to educate the residents while you're there! :mrgreen:

Charlie