The tale of two astronomers

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
clittle

Post by clittle »

Very interesting post.

After been in this hobby for 20 years, I think my happiest moments were when I was using a 60mm refractor which I bought for USD$800 back in 1985. Small scope, but I have seen almost 75 of the M objects through it. And every object is exciting to find and see because it is challenging for a small scope. I try so hard to find them and I keep training my eyes to see little details. And when I finally found it, I will be so happy rushing to my log-book proudly recording what I saw. I still have that 20 year old log book with me and when I look back..those were the best moments in an astronomer's life.

Today, I have a GOTO and while it shows me nicer views, I don't get the same excitement and thrill as in the past. Well, I still use the most out of it, but the excitement is not the same. I am not sure if people here would ever experience back the real fun of astro with all the sophisticated equipments around. Maybe it is more fun to explore the equipments than the sky. Sad but very true.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Arief,

A bit of Steve only? hehe :P
AstroDuck
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I was just thinking about what I liked about astronomy, and I realised that astronomy combined my love for science, nature, computers, photography and tinkering into one. I suppose that everyone appreciates at different times different aspects of astronomy, so it really is up to you how you want to enjoy it!

On this forum, everyone is welcome, so it doesn't matter if you're a Steve or Alfred. I for one am more like the Alfred guy, always in awe of the universe and using cheap scopes, and I definitely think that more beginners should be encouraged to learn the night sky and take the 'old fashioned' route. So, if you're someone like 'Alfred', do share and ask more about astronomy , and then we won't have to talk about equipment all the time. ;)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Canopus Lim wrote:Arief,

A bit of Steve only? hehe :P
If he is just a bit of Steve only, then I think I am Stevie Wonder.
river

Post by river »

On this forum, everyone is welcome, so it doesn't matter if you're a Steve or Alfred.
Yes, Steve bring his scope out, Alfred give the sky tour... Just like our human GOTO... haha
rlow

Post by rlow »

I suppose I started off like Alfred but in the last eight years, I have also took on some characteristics of Steve. This is partly because thirty years ago, there was not much astro equipment options and you have no internet to check prices and buy from overseas. Whereas in the last ten years, many quality manufacturers and dealers have come into the astro scene and there are many quality options to choose from. But I think it is not necessary nor easy to just categorise people into two camps as many people are a bit of both.
Last edited by rlow on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

river wrote:
On this forum, everyone is welcome, so it doesn't matter if you're a Steve or Alfred.
Yes, Steve bring his scope out, Alfred give the sky tour... Just like our human GOTO... haha
No....Steve bring his scope out to star test only and check for secondary colour (according to the article) and then back to his PC to check out more scope reviews.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Upon reflection during lunch, I think I am 30% Alfred and 70% Steve.

It's the rational part of me, I suppose. I like things to be objective - measurable and quantifiable. Subjective experiences do not appeal to me much. Give me an antique high-quality telescope that does not work anytime, than a modern scope with excellent performance! Of course, if I can have a high-quality instrument that performs well, so much the better!

I'm weird - I'd rather have a nonfunctional quality instrument anytime. But that's just me.. :P
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hiayo, its just a hobby mah... Whether you a Steve or Alfred, I think what is most important is that you are having fun doing what you are doing. Its just like chicken... Whether you grill it or roast it or fry it or cook it in my curry pot, just enjoy it the way you want! :) :)

Let's hope these posts don't discourage people from posting about their new equipment or else we will be poorer for it. :evil: On the other hand, it will be good to see more Steves posting about their ob sessions too!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
ALPiNe

Post by ALPiNe »

:?
Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm neither Alfred nor Steve.. I don't own a telescope. Hope I am not in the wrong forum? :(

Cheers,
- ALPiNe
.- .-.. .--. .. -. .