Pluto no longer a planet!! Down to 8.

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Ha.. I have heard the podcast. So funny :)
AstroDuck
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Our singaporean members will remember 'Sgt' fondly... :)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This is a good one: "You think, he thought, who confirm??"... Hmm... Will "think, thought and confirm" twice next time before I use the words "I think ".... ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Anyone tuned in to CNA at 12am just now and watched the documentary on the planet Pluto.
The programme even has the vote result of the IAU on 24 Aug which means its about a week old only!
It gave a very interesting argument on the case for Pluto which I have elaborated here :

A white guy walks up to a Black guy and says "I'm sorry. I can't call you a human anymore."
The black guy asks "why?? we've been accepted as humans since time began".
The white guy says " it was a mistake made at the beginning".
The black guy :" what do you mean?? I'm not human?? I have a heart, I breathe air and I have 2 legs like you!"
White Guy " So do chickens. We don't call them humans! If we accepted you as humans, we would have to include all the birds as well and frankly, that's too many humans. we need to define that humans are white."
Black Guy " That's unacceptable! We have been humans like you all this while!"
White Guy " Sorry, a few of us at the Humanity Society voted and its official. You will henceforth be called a "minor" human..I'm sorry Mr Pluto".

And so Pluto was demoted not because it failed as planet but because it failed a definition designed to exclude it. The latest now is that about 300 astronomers are banding together to form a movement with intention to overturn the ruling in the next IAU some years down the line..the plot thickens! But by then, most of the books and science kits would have reflected 8 planets which means big bucks to sell updated stuff again. maybe we should all band together to form a company to sell updated science stuff on pluto...
:lol:
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

just curious, how many here has actually seen pluto from your scope??? you'll need at least two or three very good nights to confirm.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I have ever used Wira's 10" scope to point at Pluto 1-2 times. I know I should be able to see it but do not know which dot it is! I think very few people would have been able to differentiate it though unless they take photos several days apart and do it the way Clyde Tombaugh did it...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The underground resistance has started! The invaders will not have their sweet victory! :twisted: Pretty amazing that there are 10,000 registered astronomers worldwide and a major decision was made with only 400 voters..

http://www.space.com/news/060905_pluto_protest.html
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Poor Pluto now assigned a number like a Prisoner....sigh...

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... umber.html
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Poor Pluto now assigned a number like a Prisoner....sigh...
Err... I thought that's normal... almost anything got number assign to. There got the M number, NGC number, IC number, car plate number, model number, serial number, NRIC number :mrgreen: :mrgreen: & etc.

Have a nice day.

PS: 134340... hmm... who want to buy 4D (1343, 3434, 4340 & etc)?? :mrgreen:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: