Singastro In Sunday Times!

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Jingguo wrote:wow the article is a very good advertisment for local astronomy. there might be a increase in membership i guess. anyway y Strait time did not give our website link???
these days with IT everywhere, any smart alec kid would know how to google singastro for the site..heh heh
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

chrisyeo wrote:
jennifer1611991 wrote:Yeah! Could someone post it up?:)
It has already been posted by Kayheem. Pls see pg 2. :)

Cheers,
Chris
Right!! Thanks very much!! It was an interesting article:)
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

lol, cool pose :)
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

me agree. maybe it(the article) should be pinned up somewhere?

edit: lol. definately cool.
eh.. like where is the tasos?
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

nice article, seems to cover quite a bit here and there. nice pic. how come those covered in the article neber post anything? shy ar?

i do agree that there are some discrepancy here and there, but it wouldn't be nice to laugh at the author's mistake here on a public forum. might be offending if he/she reads it, esp since the author had gd intentions.

anyway, just to point out, we did not do any mars watch in sentosa, it was once in the west, at chinese garden and once in the east, bedok reservoir.

~MooEy~
rlow

Post by rlow »

anyway, just to point out, we did not do any mars watch in sentosa, it was once in the west, at chinese garden and once in the east, bedok reservoir.
The writer was probably refering to the great Leonid Meteor Watch at Sentosa, where all the three beaches were completely covered with people.
jermng

Post by jermng »

I remember that one ... who organised it? I just saw some article in the papers at that time and went down ... :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

rlow wrote:
The writer was probably refering to the great Leonid Meteor Watch at Sentosa, where all the three beaches were completely covered with people.
uh.. like so why snt it organised annually?

edit: oops. dp
Last edited by soulfrost on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

rlow wrote:
uh.. like so why snt it organised annually?
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

it all depends on the ZHR of the meteor shower that year. the one they had back then had exceptional ZHR and received much more publicity i believe. currently the weather in singapore is quite erratic and light pollution (from the main island) to some extent has limited the numbers we can see.

moreover, such a large scale event would require lots of work and volunteers many mths beforehand ( such as the mars watch event) to ensure that everything runs smoothly.