kent ridge hill as an ideal place to for observation?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

simranjits wrote:Btw i noticed that no one suggested kent ridge hill as an ideal place to for observation? only distraction is a 13m tracking antenna.
I felt that Kent Ridge park has a lot of tress and lamps and the bright foreground of orange lights. also felt that the view is not wide enough, because of the trees. If you are on the board walk, the narrow and vibrating boardwalk space may not be suitable for telescope use.

:)
Wee Nghee the Pooh
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

mrngbss wrote:
simranjits wrote:Btw i noticed that no one suggested kent ridge hill as an ideal place to for observation? only distraction is a 13m tracking antenna.
I felt that Kent Ridge park has a lot of tress and lamps and the bright foreground of orange lights. also felt that the view is not wide enough, because of the trees. If you are on the board walk, the narrow and vibrating boardwalk space may not be suitable for telescope use.

:)
We can always get them to prune the trees, why do u say it's vibrating boardwalk? it's just a car park
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

If you walk along the boardwalk, there is a spot where it is relatively darker (than in the carpark), high, and the foreground is also dark. I had a great view from there 2 weeks back.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

simranjits wrote:We can always get them to prune the trees, why do u say it's vibrating boardwalk? it's just a car park
Who is "them"? Who are we to get "them" to prune trees? I'm sure NParks (if that is "them") has planned tree maintenance schedule. It is not easy for "them" to cater to every request.

Kent Ridge Park is not JUST a carpark. There is more, if anyone cares to visit the park (as in garden park). The boardwalk is a wonderful walk. As a nature enthusiast, I can tell you that there are times we need to learn to slowdown and smell the flowers, reflect upon our social lives and the way we deal with others, and of course enjoy our earth and the heavens.

The universe is what I call 'meta nature', hence astronomers are naturalists in their own way ;)
Last edited by alvinsclee on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

I didn't describe the location properly i guess .I'm talking about the carpark with the 13m Tracking Antenna which belongs to NUS.
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

Anyways theres no such thing as a universe , it's a multiverse to be exact. hehe
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Hmmm... I saw your earlier post before editing: "U guys don't ..."

Please understand that Singastro is a friendly forum for all to share, not for argumentative discourses or displaying disrespect to nice dealers and fellow forummers.

Please go to http://www.tasos.org.sg and see if you can recognise that uncle in SSC astro shop!

Be careful who you talk to and the manner of conversation. Afterall, as you said, it is a multiverse! Heard of the holographic universe?
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

Yah i corrected myself when i realized it might sound rude , it happens didn't mean to sound rude. But anyways hope u understood the location i'm talking about , not many people know that place exists.
simranjits

Post by simranjits »

Btw the person i talked to was an elderly man about >60 plus , maybe the owners dad.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Which part of Kent Ridge hill is this spot exactly again?

If it really is a good spot, perhaps you could add it to our database of Good Observation Sites:

http://www.singastro.org/web/mediawiki/ ... _Singapore

Cheers,
Chris