Do you believe that Aliens exist?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Razsky

Do you believe that Aliens exist?

Post by Razsky »

I dun know if this can be counted as a valid post under General Astronomy (sorry mods!) but i was just wondering, how many of you guys believe that a kind of life, other then ours exists out there? I mean personally i think the possibilities of another life form beyond earth is very high. I mean, the Universe is so vast! How can we be the only life form to exist?

Haha! Just wondering how you guys think of this.

:wink:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Yes! And they are here on Earth - it's called 'Mother-in-law'!

Seriously, I won't use the term 'believe' - but rather ask if anyone here thinks that there are aliens, be it the intelligent creepy ones or the super-intelligent friendly ones.

I hope if there are any, it would be the latter! I hate to think of some alien breeding in my stomach!

On a psychological note, I think humans have a escape mechanism in their brains that wish for a 'savior' - a super-powerful alien that can come and rescue us from our misery (I read somewhere that the number of UFO sightings increased during periods of economic depression) or overcome our limits of space travel, etc.

That's why I watch 'Andromeda' & 'Star Trek'! :)
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i'm pretty confident we will find some form of life outside of earth within our lifetime.
Razsky

Post by Razsky »

kingkong wrote:i'm pretty confident we will find some form of life outside of earth within our lifetime.
i hope they are friendly! :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I was involved in a very long thread on this subject in my office intranet.
The topic started off fine and then drifted off to pseudo religious stuff, then went into science fiction...
Should be an interesting thread. the drake equation will be mentioned sooner or later. But let's picture this. We live in a galaxy of tens of billions of stars. It take us at least 4.3 years at light speed to travel to our sun's nearest neighbour....and there are millions if not billions of galaxies...think about the odds. there could be at least dozens of intellient life at our exact same time slot with the capability to communicate in our own galaxy alone. They just have to point at the right direction and wait a couple of hundred or thousand years for the transmission to return....
Aliens DO exist. Statistics and our very own existences proves it. How do we reach them is another matter.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
river

Post by river »

At the arrival hall of the 5 major US Port of Entries, if you are not US citizen, then you are "alien" by default(stated on the sign board). And if you said you know Osama... then you are treated as "hostile alien".

but if you are true alien and fly with your UFO, you should land on area 51 private spaceport.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

Razsky wrote:
kingkong wrote:i'm pretty confident we will find some form of life outside of earth within our lifetime.
i hope they are friendly! :)
finding them and getting in contact are different.

i pretty suspect we will find evidence of past and/or present life within the solar system over the next couple of decades. yes, i do believe life is so prolific.

contact always presents a risk. as we learned over the past decades even when we cleared forests, we will get in contact with exotic viruses that can be very unfriendly to human.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Well, in my own opinion I believe alien exist because of many UFO sightings being reported worldwide even up to this day. They may be man-made though, but there are also many real stories about abduction by aliens and related to their craft. There are many species, good and bad ones. Common one is the greys, their secret agenda is to enslave human...they may appear to be friendly and peaceful now but they are scare of defeat. I did saw one 10 years ago that appeared when I woke up, probably in other dimension?! :)

Most of them are just observers who know a lot about earth, but don't wish to intervene.

What I concerned is what will happen in December 21 2012...(do a internet search if you duno what is it) :wink:

[hr]
I am a truth seeker :)
Area503

Post by Area503 »

Well, i for one believe in maths and stats. I mean, there are billions of galaxies in the universe, each having billions of stars, which sums up to billions of planets / gas giants.

I would not be so arrogant to think that only earth have intelligent life.

8-)
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Actually, if you watched sci-fi, there are always a lot of aliens, and I mean A LOT! Look at Babylon 5 alone... it's a nightmare! I can't remember which movie/TV sci-fi show where a guy (human) said "I wish we are alone in the universe!".

Be careful what you wish for - it may just come true!

(My apologies to the Perseids..)
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]