How to test a new scope?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Wow, 75mm huh :shock: , I think you were much better off than most of us who only managed 50mm or 60mm at most when we were in P6 ... rich kid huh :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote:Wow, 75mm huh :shock: , I think you were much better off than most of us who only managed 50mm or 60mm at most when we were in P6 ... rich kid huh :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
I only bought my first scope, an Eduscience 114mm reflector from Toys R Us 2 years ago when I first re-kindled my astronomy interest. I chose the one with the biggest aperture and the most expensive one (I think it cost $180 or so) and of course, silly me, that "X525 magnification! " really helped in the decision . :lol:
What a mess it was and I returned it after 2 days for a full refund.
Bought an ETX90 within 2 months and did not look back since...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:Wow, 75mm huh :shock: , I think you were much better off than most of us who only managed 50mm or 60mm at most when we were in P6 ... rich kid huh :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
i only started with a 40mm....
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

You know you got a 'bad deal' scope when -

1) Its available at Toys R US or some other toy shop
2) It boasts magnification of hundreds of times such as 500X
3) It has plastic optics
4) It has weak legs that wobble or vibrate with a light tap

Chris
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Lol...

On a whim a few months back, and before I joined Singastro, I paid $130 for an edu-science 60mm.. the barlow didn't work, max. mag. of 215 my ass, m7 was fuzzy and very dim and was about the only thing I could see(moon wasn't out). Willing to bet my last dollar that Galileo's scope was better.

Learnt as much as I could (never touched a scope before) before I returned it 7 days later for a full refund...

Hmm.. which brings an evil thought to mind... for those who really want to see how 'wonderful' these scopes are, why don't you just go ahead and buy them, check them out, make sure not to damage anything, cook up some excuse and return it in 7 days (don't forget) for a refund!
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Lol chris, that's evil all right. But i like that evil thought, at least i'm a 'proud owner' of a telescope for 7 days, rather than still sticking with my 12X50... :P:P:P
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

hahaha... :lol: :lol:
zong, i pm u liao.. :D
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

I wonder how many people went for the Toy'r'us scope during the Mars craze. And those who bought a quite-decent scope and used it once to view mars and chuck it under their junk....

Poor scopes.
Charlie
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

Grievous wrote:I wonder how many people went for the Toy'r'us scope during the Mars craze. And those who bought a quite-decent scope and used it once to view mars and chuck it under their junk....

Poor scopes.
Charlie
ya.. i think so too.. is just like the pets.. they like it just for a short while then abandon them liao.. :( :( so cruel..
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Yea, they should like donate to SingAstro, then we can start a Rent-A-Scope scheme. That should help the newbies out a little.

Charlie