How to test a new scope?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

In fact, just visited Toys R US the other day to buy something for my kid and the edu science section actually had a newspaper clipping showing some Singaporeans using the toy scope during Mars opposition.

But even the edu-science scope is probably better than what Galileo had in his day which used poor glass and a very flimsy tabletop tripod (unless the edu-science scope has plastic optics in which case Galileo's scope would have been better)

Chris
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Edu-science scopes DOES use plastics! *GASH!* I had one of them before, now it sits at NPAC window as an ornament!

Charlie
Terry

Post by Terry »

Is there really a large difference between plastic and glass?
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

For lenses, yeah!! (We are not talking spectacles here)

Chris
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

The way light is refracted around a plastic and a glass lens is very different. They are nearly 2 worlds apart. The biggest difference, though, should still be the price of the 2. That's y edu-scopes are plastic, maybe? So they're cheaper than the real scope I've been wanting for god-knows how many years.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

anyone seen the edu science barlow? :shock: haha its damn long!!! They have all these funny numbers like 3.2X something liddat. How ya going to use THAT? OH their eye pieces also have a 2 lenses each.Interesing how they image REAL scopes :)
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
chris shaw

Post by chris shaw »

Well, some people do enjoy drinking fine cabernet out of plastic cups.

Chris
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

My experience is that the light transmission and clarity of those plastic lenses is atrocious!
Terry

Post by Terry »

I have the edu science barlow. Their barlow and eyepieces are all made of plastic. However, the prism inside the diagonal is made of glass if I am not wrong.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Hoho sp astronomers have one lying in our club house now. Look at the tripod leg too!
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers