How to test a new scope?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

ya.. they are really crap..
cant take my eyes to look at it :roll: :roll:
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

IceAngel wrote:ya.. they are really crap..
cant take my eyes to look at it :roll: :roll:
There was a thread on SAA some time ago that started as "You know you are a scope junkie when..."

One guy said, "You buy a MacDondald happy meal so that you can get the free toy bino to test out the optics!"

I admit sometimes I am very tempted to get the ones at Toys R Us just to try them out!

Kay Heem :)
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I admit sometimes I am very tempted to get the ones at Toys R Us just to try them out!

Kay Heem
Hey, me too ! :lol: I'm sure they will show at least Jupiter's bands and it's moons, Saturns rings, and maybe "awesome" views of our own moon :shock: heh...afterall, it's always said that the Refractors of our time (even the very basic ones...not sure if this extends to the "toy" ones though...) are superior to the one which Galileo used when he observed Jupiter and first discovered it's 4 largest moons !
Samuel Ng
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

It will serve as a great starter tool for your kids if you wanna step into this hobby at a young age and not risk spending lots of money for them in case they start using them as swords or cannons. Unless you are such a great dad like Jeremy Shears, a DOB for his kid. Darn, i wished i had a dad like him!

Charlie
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

:lol: :lol:
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I got one collecting dust and growing mold... seem like can be use as a guide scope, but have problem mount it on my scope or mount (too long)... next time may be... :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:

Kay Heem
Hey, me too ! :lol: I'm sure they will show at least Jupiter's bands and it's moons, Saturns rings, and maybe "awesome" views of our own moon :shock: heh...afterall, it's always said that the Refractors of our time (even the very basic ones...not sure if this extends to the "toy" ones though...) are superior to the one which Galileo used when he observed Jupiter and first discovered it's 4 largest moons !
Eh, I started 18 years back with a toy telescope you know. But at that time, even a toy scope is much better quality that those we had now. I bought it for $20 from a friend, and I could see Saturn rings and stuff. Really trained me well when comes to star hopping.

Those Edu-science scope are crap, but they will make very good star-hopping training tools. If yours eyes can see that elusive nebula through that edu-science, you can certainly see and find it using the better scopes.
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

just $20 from your friend?? :shock:
omg~~ that's awesome.. :shock:
Leslie
-10.11.03-
-25.03.06-
Terry

Post by Terry »

I have two toy scopes, one is about $50+ and the other one is $100+, brought many years ago. I can see the moon quite clearly with both of them but can't see any deep sky objects. Toy scope is not really that lousy as I can at least have a closeup view of the moon.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I bought a Toys R Us 75mm Edu-Science Refractor which showed me how Jupiter looks like --- a sotong ball!! :? $75 down the drain; huge sum for a primary 6 student. :evil: