Planetarium

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
djoko

Planetarium

Post by djoko »

Where is the planetarium in Singapore? I am talking about public planetarium, not home/school planetarium or software.
Is it true that Planetarium Negara in KL, Malaysia, is the nearest planetarium from Singapore?

[schild=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Thanks.[/schild]
perseid
Vendor

Post by perseid »

The closest planetarium from Singapore is in Malacca. It is at Al-Khawarizmi Astronomy Complex at Tanjung Bidara. In fact, the biggest telescope in Malaysia is located there. It has a RC 24" scope and a RC16" scope housed in two separated dome.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

i thought there is a planetarium in the science center...
djoko

Post by djoko »

It seems that the "omni-planetarium" (or omni-theatre?) is only used for IMAX Movies showing dinosaurs, grand canyon, wild ocean, etc...

http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/otmovie.j ... =0&cat=383

Btw, from its website, the planetarium at Al-Khawarizmi Astronomy Complex is only using a digital projector. Personally, I prefer specially designed projector for the starfield, such as Carl Zeiss Jena projector.

I want to see a compiled data of planetariums (at least in South East Asia) with the dome size, type of projector, etc. I still can't find such data from the internet. In fact, the planetarium at Al-Khawarizmi Astronomy Complex is not yet in wikipedia.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Remus (rcj) used to organise many ob sessions at SSC, see link to one of his post Ob @ SSC

Omni-theatre is only one part of SSC.
djoko

Post by djoko »

Yes, that's observatory, not a planetarium...
djoko

Post by djoko »

Just found out about this place on Singapore Biennale's website:

Central Promontory Site
Immediately adjacent to Marina Bay Residences, the Central Promontory will be a signature waterfront development home to many public attractions, including a museum, art gallery, science centre, planetarium and aquarium.

http://www.singaporebiennale.org/venues ... promontory