Re: Questions on Observation Sites in Bintan

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
lokeyuen

Re: Questions on Observation Sites in Bintan

Post by lokeyuen »

Hi,

Any recommendations for good observations site that is near to resorts?

Ideally to be near to decent and comfortable beach resorts.
nukescientist

Post by nukescientist »

NUS Astro usually goes to this resort. Used to be called Mana mana, but it's name got changed to Nirwana I think. They have relatively flat beaches, but the high tides at night can go really high, sometimes covering the beach. But they have a platform now, only problem is that when the tides come, you'd be stuck there for the night.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

NUS Astro went to mana mana last dec. According to what i heard (didn't go), the platform vibrates to the slightest step. not good at all. plus the stuck in tides thing...

I've not yet explored other places in Bintan.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
chuang

Post by chuang »

I guess there are no problems bringing the scopes into Bintan? I used to think we are at the mercy of those custom officers. No problem?
nukescientist

Post by nukescientist »

No prob with NUS Astro. There might be some declaration some years back. But the last time we went there, passing customs was smooth.
Ah yah, the platform vibrates as it had wooden planks with concrete. Another alternative was going to the field between both resorts. But there's no view of the horizon as shurbs surround the field and coconut trees get in the way of the field of view.
Not sure about other resorts