Sea Lan Dem Rocket and HST this morning (12 Oct 2008)

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Sea Lan Dem Rocket and HST this morning (12 Oct 2008)

Post by weixing »

Hi,
This morning (12 Oct 2008) at around 5:50am, while doing a quick observation using my binoculars, I saw 2 satellites (second one behave like an Iridium Flares) moving across the sky.

Just now, I checked the Heavens Above to check which satellite and Iridium flare I was looking at. The first one I saw was Sea Lan Dem Rocket as it's match the time, brightness and path predicted by Heavens Above exactly. The next one indicated by the Heavens Above should be the HST, but the brightness was far brighter than what Heavens-Above predicted and it's behave like an Iridium flare. So I checked was there any Iridium flare at that period of time, but there was no such records in Heavens Above.

Anyway, the HST was way brighter than what Heavens Above predicted(magnitude 2). I estimate the brightness was from magnitude -2 to -3 since it was a lot brighter than near by Sirius when I notice it. It's maintained the maximum brightness (golden in colour like Jupiter) for may be 10s to 20s and started to dim down rapidly as it moved towards south direction.

Anyway, I finally observed something not predicted accurately by Heavens Above.... ha ha ha :D :mrgreen: Hmm... may be the "extra" brightness was caused by sunrise as the sky had already started to brighten up when the HST was at it's maximum brightness and Heavens Above forget to consider the effect of the Sun??

Just wonder anyone saw this also??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi weixing
Congrats on your find. Do look for the ISS instead! [smilie=admire2.gif]
You stopped having CSN in Tampines these days?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You stopped having CSN in Tampines these days?
Still on... just that not many chance to observe... thanks to months of bad weather :(

Anyway, will be searching for other convenient site near my place... the current site is way too bright... thanks to the 24hrs, 6 days a week construction site. :( Hope they can complete the construction asap.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: