UFOs seen in North of Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
mulia

Post by mulia »

Hello all,
I've always been interested in the stars, the unknown & the universe. Just wanted to find out if there are anyone else out there who has personally witnessed UFOs in Singapore.

I had personally witnessed a chain of small UFOs coming from the South & travelling in a neat arc towards the North and disappearing into the horizon where the Sembawang shipyard is. As it occurred for a good 30 minutes (at least), there should be more than 40 such crafts. It is definitely not aeroplanes nor helicopters as it was totally silent. The event which occurred at about 3am a couple of years ago, was witnessed by my dad and wife.

I gotta check the actual date, but I remember the next day is the birthday of Goddess of Mercy, 'Guan Yin'. Anyone else got similar experience?

Mulia
justicebaogong.blogspot.com
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Sembawang? Probably UAVs. They are pretty quiet.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hmm... may be it's a flock of birds.... Some birds in Singapore gets up too "early" or are like us sleep very late... ha ha ha :P I think may be they are confuse with day and night... thanks to light pollution. :(

Anyway, I commonly see birds flying/hopping around in Tampines at night and some of them fly in formations... really look like UFO from far. They are visible at night due to the light pollution reflected from their body.

By the way, a lots of those so called UFO can be easily explain if you observe carefully and know the sky.... that's why you seldom heard report of seeing UFO by amateur astronomers (probably are the people who spend the most time looking at the night sky) because of their knowledge of the stars, satellite & etc. So if there is a UFO flying around, probably amateur astronomers will be the one who will see it first. So keep looking up... you never know what you'll see next time. :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

hi,
you might have probably seen a chain of lenticular clouds instead. They have a special characteristic of being disc-shaped or several discs stacked together like a pancake. Often mistakened as UFO by people under different lighting and hue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

Go google for images of lenticular clouds and see for yourself.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

There was once my father was so excited about this 'bright big aircraft'..which happened to be just Venus.
AstroDuck
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

yup....many "UFO" can be explained eventually. explanations may be due to moving light reflecting off low clouds, meteorological events or perhaps a low flying aircraft.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
mulia

Post by mulia »

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like there's not many believers in Singapore. I've checked out using my binoculars: from the naked eye, they are like small specks of 3 or 4 lights going in an arc disappearing into the sembawang shipyard horizon, but with the binoculars, they are not actually going in a straight line, they are like, how do i describe, like going in very small circular motion, but going in a straight line, erm, imagine you want to buy a pen from a book store, u take it up to test and draw this joined circular lines which look something like a coil, but going in an arc. Not sure if anybody got my description. I gotta draw this so that u can understand, but i dunno how to post it here.... well, i got more things to worry like the government increasing the electricity rates even though oil prices are falling. More details in justicebaogong.blogspot.com. do leave comments ya.

mulia
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: UFOs seen in North of Singapore

Post by weixing »

Hi,
mulia wrote:Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like there's not many believers in Singapore. I've checked out using my binoculars: from the naked eye, they are like small specks of 3 or 4 lights going in an arc disappearing into the sembawang shipyard horizon, but with the binoculars, they are not actually going in a straight line, they are like, how do i describe, like going in very small circular motion, but going in a straight line, erm, imagine you want to buy a pen from a book store, u take it up to test and draw this joined circular lines which look something like a coil, but going in an arc. Not sure if anybody got my description. I gotta draw this so that u can understand, but i dunno how to post it here.... well, i got more things to worry like the government increasing the electricity rates even though oil prices are falling. More details in justicebaogong.blogspot.com. do leave comments ya.

mulia
I believe there are definitely other life form out there, but need more proof to convince me that they are here on earth... best if they can land in Singapore and said "Hi". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway, base on your description, I think what you actually saw is a flock of birds flying in formation... match what I saw recently when a flock of birds perform a flyby during my observation session at night: The whole flock of birds will all fly in same direction, but their individual position will shift in the flock causing the "small circular motion" that you saw.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kingkong

Re: UFOs seen in North of Singapore

Post by kingkong »

mulia wrote:Looks like there's not many believers in Singapore.
i'm sure there are still many believers in singapore.... but one should not expect to find many believers among astronomers... even amateur ones...
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Circular motion? I saw it the other night at an open field - there were a couple of guys playing around with the propeller-drive kites. Comes with nice lights too!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]