light pollution is cover story on NG

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
kingkong

light pollution is cover story on NG

Post by kingkong »

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/ ... nborg-text

hopefully, it will help increase awareness in our societies...

now the authority can't say it's not an issue - it is in NG!

and...

""Of all the pollution we face, light pollution is perhaps the most easily remedied."

i'll see that my local mp gets a copy...
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Yes, hopefully things can change! However some parts of the article I find it hard to believe.. Like its mentioning of the correlation between breast cancer in women and the surrounding brightness.

Now I feel like going for the Meet Your MP sessions and showing them this article too haha..
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
leechriz

Post by leechriz »

I was reading some old posts and came across this suggestion. I actually feel that this might be worth trying. Let's petition for a designated location in Singapore for night sky observation on weekends. This means requesting all public lightings in that location to be shut off on the weekend.

It's a win-win situation three ways. The public gets to enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky - something that we are sorely deprived of in Singapore and the municipals get to save some tax payers money. It will reduce energy usage and pollution.

Why not?
zong wrote:Yes, hopefully things can change! However some parts of the article I find it hard to believe.. Like its mentioning of the correlation between breast cancer in women and the surrounding brightness.

Now I feel like going for the Meet Your MP sessions and showing them this article too haha..
jermng

Post by jermng »

Why not?
Low Crime doesn't mean no crime ....

It's sad .. they're putting lights even around HDB estates where it is just slightly darker ..... like around open carparks etc.
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

leechriz wrote:I was reading some old posts and came across this suggestion. I actually feel that this might be worth trying. Let's petition for a designated location in Singapore for night sky observation on weekends. This means requesting all public lightings in that location to be shut off on the weekend.

It's a win-win situation three ways. The public gets to enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky - something that we are sorely deprived of in Singapore and the municipals get to save some tax payers money. It will reduce energy usage and pollution.

Why not?
For this. TASOS needs to lead the way. The "garment" only listen to recommendations from Associations.