what is your most fascinating naked eye night sky object?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
VinSnr
Administrator

what is your most fascinating naked eye night sky object?

Post by VinSnr »

Hi guys....

What is your most fascinating naked eye night sky object ever? Please state where you saw it too.

Please dun say the moon hor....

[smilie=cool.gif]
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

It was many years ago when I first picked up astronomy. I saw a faint cluster and wondered what it was. Much later, I managed to view it using an old 7X35mm bino and found it very pretty in the bino.

Eventually I got to realize it was the Pleiades Cluster.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,kayheem and VinSir and everybody
I think the most facinating naked eye objects in astronomy are naked eye visible comet.No two comet looks the same and travel the same path and even those that come back regularly like Halley will give very unpredictable display.Also different photographic tech will review different secrets of the comet.Surprises are frequent like Homes sudden flareup recently.Some,like lulin look like a devil's eye staring down at us.
Also comets(those visible to the naked eye) are said to bring bad luck and historically seem to be "true".They seem to be the warning sign from heaven(and tell us to get prepared) and that made observing them even more interesting.
Scientifically these are the deep space traveller that collect and review to us what gases are there filling the void spaces between us and the stars.Thanks for reading.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Many, many years ago, I went trekking in Mount Kota Kinabalu. For the final ascent, we had to leave at 3am to catch the sunrise at the peak. It was totally pitch black and the only lights we see are those climbers further up the track. I looked up at the sky and saw a fuzzy patch. I took down my specs to clean it - thinking it was oily... but no matter how I cleaned it, the fuzzy patch remained, whereas the other stars were pinpoint. Then I suddenly realized it was a comet!

Impressive...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Tachyon wrote:Many, many years ago, I went trekking in Mount Kota Kinabalu. For the final ascent, we had to leave at 3am to catch the sunrise at the peak. It was totally pitch black and the only lights we see are those climbers further up the track. I looked up at the sky and saw a fuzzy patch. I took down my specs to clean it - thinking it was oily... but no matter how I cleaned it, the fuzzy patch remained, whereas the other stars were pinpoint. Then I suddenly realized it was a comet!

Impressive...
Which comet was that Andrew? Comet Halley?
Clear skies please...
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Hale-Bopp comet was visible after sunset few years ago with nice view through binoculars .Probably the best comet in recent years
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

jiahao1986 wrote:
Tachyon wrote:Many, many years ago, I went trekking in Mount Kota Kinabalu. For the final ascent, we had to leave at 3am to catch the sunrise at the peak. It was totally pitch black and the only lights we see are those climbers further up the track. I looked up at the sky and saw a fuzzy patch. I took down my specs to clean it - thinking it was oily... but no matter how I cleaned it, the fuzzy patch remained, whereas the other stars were pinpoint. Then I suddenly realized it was a comet!

Impressive...
Which comet was that Andrew? Comet Halley?
Nope. It was Hale-Bopp.. [smilie=embarrassed3.gif]
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Comet McNaught for me ...
I cannot explain the feeling when observing the comet from Hunters Valley in Aussie NSW .. seriously exhilarating.
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Tachyon wrote: Nope. It was Hale-Bopp.. [smilie=embarrassed3.gif]
Hehe, you said many many years ago so I thought it was 20+ years ago. Yeah Hale-Bopp was impressive, and there have been no great comets like Hale-Bopp visible for Northern Hemisphere since 1997, sigh... [smilie=depressed.gif]
Clear skies please...
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

jiahao1986 wrote:
Tachyon wrote: Nope. It was Hale-Bopp.. [smilie=embarrassed3.gif]
Hehe, you said many many years ago so I thought it was 20+ years ago. Yeah Hale-Bopp was impressive, and there have been no great comets like Hale-Bopp visible for Northern Hemisphere since 1997, sigh... [smilie=depressed.gif]
Fear not! There are other things to observe... like solar eclipses, that are equally memorable!