2 bright objects

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
guangwei

2 bright objects

Post by guangwei »

Today i came out the house at around 5.45am. I saw 2 bright objects. I know one of them is jupiter. But what's the other object? The brightness was same as jupiter. I did not observe using my scope as i was rushing.
haha any idea?
michael

Post by michael »

hi,

Actually There are two planets together Jupiter and neptune. They are very close to each other but neptune wont be very bright mag +7.9. we can say bit far from jupiter at left side Fomalhaut mag +1.16.

hope its correct.

Michael
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

Hmm, one is Jupiter for sure, the other is either Altair or Formalhaut. Altair is brighter than Formalhaut since it's mag 0.75.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The overhead bright object is Jupiter and the bright object at the eastern sky one is Venus... you should also be able to see the not that bright Mars above Venus.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
michael

Post by michael »

lets see whats hpns at 5:45am.

Apx object locatin.

jupiter :62:27, 236:61
Formalhaut 58:13, 193:26
Altair 34:35, 279:89
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

weixing wrote:Hi,
The overhead bright object is Jupiter and the bright object at the eastern sky one is Venus... you should also be able to see the not that bright Mars above Venus.

Have a nice day.
Correct me if I'm wrong, at 5.45am, Venus and Mars should be quite low. Although, yes, if the other bright object is not near to Jupiter, then it should be Venus.
michael

Post by michael »

at 5:45 am

Mars location 29:19, 69:80
Venus Location 24:48, 071:61

so the mars was on top of the venus.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Zephyrus wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, at 5.45am, Venus and Mars should be quite low. Although, yes, if the other bright object is not near to Jupiter, then it should be Venus.
He didn't mention where was the second bright object leh, but any star like object that as bright as Jupiter should be Venus and ISS (err... and may be headlight of aircraft when flying toward his direction :mrgreen: ), but there was no pass for ISS this morning, so the conclusion should be Venus.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Thanks for the comments! So, what's the conclusion? 2 bright objects, 1 is jupiter. The other one is as bright as jupiter and it does NOT twinkle. It cant be the ISS as i kept noticing it and it does not move. It can't be a plane cos planes have red lights blinking and it moves quite fast.
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

First of all, how near were those 2 bright objects? Were they very close to one another, or were they far apart? Were they very low in the horizon, or very high up? Almost near zenith and 2 bright object is close to one another would be Jupiter and Altair or Formalhaut. If the 2 object is far apart, the one nearer to zenith is Jupiter and the one low in the horizon would be Venus.

The brightest object would be Venus at mag -4. Second brightest is Jupiter at mag -2. Followed by Vega (star) at mag 0. Vega would be rather low in the horizon at 5.45am. Nearest bright object to Jupiter is Formalhaut followed by Altair.

You should download Stellarium and check for yourself since you did not mention how far were those 2 objects apart from one another.