Trip to Mauna Kea

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Canopus Lim

Trip to Mauna Kea

Post by Canopus Lim »

This month I traveled to Hawaii with my wife. In the trip, we had the opportunity to go to Mauna Kea to see the world largest telescopes and get the chance to see the nightsky for about half hour; which is my dream! :) I took a tour up to the mountain as it would require a 4WD vehicle to do so and I did not want to rent one.

Attached are some photos.

1. A cactus plant at the top of the mountain. Some ice on it. The mountain is rather dry at high elevations and not many plants..the plants get dwarfed as the altitude increases.

2. On the slopes of Mauna Kea. Those hills are actually cinder cones. Mauna Kea is a dormant volcano.

3. A line up of observatories. The one with silver roof on the left side is the Gemini Observatory. If I am not wrong the mirror is 8m diameter.

4. Keck1, Keck2 and Subaru telescopes. The world largest telescopes Kecks! 10m diameter hexagonal mirror and the Subaru with a 8m diameter mirror.

5. A 'shadow' picture taken with Nasa words on IR telescope

6. Fantastic sunset at the mountain. Sihoutte of Subaru and Keck telescopes.

7. After sunset, with nice colours. The observatory doors begin to open as the astronomers prepare to observe the stars.

8. A 60s exposure using my Panasonic LX3 point and shoot camera. Wide angle view of Sagittarius and Scorpius. The night sky at the mountain (visitor centre), elevation 3000m is fantastic. Very clear! The Milky Way structure was easily discernible and bright. However, since it was a tour... I only had half hour to view the sky... :( So I took some amateurish wide angle pics during that time while the tour guide was explaining the sky with his green laser pointer.

With shorter exposure time (I think 15s):

9. The summer triangle region. The star trails are visible and a meteor is caught in the picture.

10. Northern Milky Way portion

11. The Big dipper and little dipper. Polaris (North Star) is visible at 20 degree altitude but unfortunately in the picture it was blocked by the trees! Wanted to show it on picture but well.... at least I saw it with my eyes. :)

The interesting thing was that Mauna Kea is so high above the clouds..actually it was pouring big 'downstairs'. Also, it was very cold! Once the sunset, it became freezing temperature at 4000m. However at the visitor's centre, it was much warmer..which was good. :)

If I were to compare the night sky condition with Mersing.... I can say that it is quite a lot better at Mauna Kea in terms of transparency and atmospheric stability. The stars above 20 degree latitude are like pint point 'stable' dots... can't really see the scintillation which is good since the seeing conditions in Mauna Kea is 0.5 arc sec and better.
AstroDuck
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Wow lucky chap you got to go there! How was the temp there at night? Anyway, congrats on your marriage! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Since it is summer, temperature and ground level is about 26 degree C. Humidity is about 70RH which is good..not too dry and not to wet..and dun sweat. :) Temperature in the mountains is much colder. I would think about 5 degree C at 3000m. During winter, Mauna Kea will be covered in snow...so who says Hawaii is only sun and beach? Hehe.

Thanks! :)
AstroDuck
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

So its a honeymoon? congrats! You killed 2 birds with one stone...an astronomical honeymoon.
BTW, I adjusted your post so the images will show. I future you can use the [img]...[/img] switch to show the image. Insert your image address between them.

BTW, I think the greenish thingy is M51?? Holy cow...you can see the 2 galaxies. even a PnS can catch it over there. The skies must be super clear! [smilie=admire.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Haa the greenish thing is probably due to the green laser pointer from the tour guide! I think it is because some clouds pass by and the beam got scattered.
AstroDuck
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yes it was a 'moon' holiday.. :P
AstroDuck
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Congratulations on your marriage!

And your pictures convinced me that I should go there next year!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
zaman

Post by zaman »

Wow...that was a great tour. Thanks for sharing with us.
Zaman

85% of the universe's mass is dark matter, with only 15% being visible.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Really yummy...congratulations on your marriage :)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Congratulations... [smilie=cute.gif] [smilie=cute2.gif] [smilie=good-luck.gif]

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: