HDB Rooftops?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
andeelym

HDB Rooftops?

Post by andeelym »

Hi,

Is it possible to get permission from HDB for viewing from the rooftops of HDB flats? I was thinking that the degree of viewing will be unobstructed from the flat infested Singapore.

If can view from the helipad on top of Westin Stamford (i know its the old name) then i believe light pollution is lower.

Are there any possibilities?
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: HDB Rooftops?

Post by weixing »

Hi,
andeelym wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to get permission from HDB for viewing from the rooftops of HDB flats? I was thinking that the degree of viewing will be unobstructed from the flat infested Singapore.
I don't think it's allowed and it's very dangerous to obs on top of HDB...
andeelym wrote:If can view from the helipad on top of Westin Stamford (i know its the old name) then i believe light pollution is lower.

Are there any possibilities?
Err... I don't think it's help... because I don't think top of Westin Stamford is higher than the clouds and haze... :mrgreen:

You can't escape light pollution as long as you are in Singapore... the "light dome" cover the whole Singapore. The best place IMHO may be those beach facing east and southeast.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

This was discussed before... if I recall correctly, the insulation tiling on the rooftops are uneven and there are no barriers to prevent people from falling off! That's why HDB locks the entrance.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
rlow

Post by rlow »

Yes, this was discussed & I have commented before:

a. it is not safe for public use, as it is usually only designed for maintenance access.

b. HDB/Town Council will probably not grant you access permission etc.

c. it is not easily accessible, usually you don't want to carry your equipment up a cat-ladder

d. the local seeing will not be good, due to the heat coming from the reinforced concerete slab & insulation panels.

Having said that, there are some HDB roof terrace gardens (eg, turfed areas on top of some new Multi-Storey Car Parks) which can be considered.

For a convenient nearby observation site, I prefer a nearby turfed playfield for lunar/planetary observation and to disregard the local direct light issues. For deepsky observing, I prefer to drive up to M'sia once or twice a month.
If can view from the helipad on top of Westin Stamford (i know its the old name) then i believe light pollution is lower.
From that location, you may reduce some direct lights affecting your eyes, however you are still in the light pollution 'dome' of Singapore. Your dark-adaptation & the poor sky contrast for observing/detecting faint deep-sky objects will still affect you. Also on such a high helipad, you have to be careful in case a gust of strong wind blow away your dew-shield, star charts etc.
Richard Low
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

I agree, not safe to observe on rooftops of HDB blocks .You can see workers doing maintenance work on rooftops, they have to be careful edge is only few feet away & take consideration of other factors like wind.